Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: milk stuck

Default milk stuck

Sometimes I really think that no matter what I do when I pump, the milk won't come out. I use compressions, I bend at the waist to hang the girls, and sometimes use a little heat pad. It gets pretty frustrating when I spend 15 minutes doing all I can and I still don't feel empty after. And I know how important emptying is.

Ever have this happen? Any suggestions?
    Sylvie
    Mom to Alex
    born 9/14/06

m/c 3.19.09

Default Re: milk stuck

What pump are you using?

It also may depend on your speed/suction settings. I know if I don't have a strong suction/speed, the milk just will not come out. Taking a shower beforehand really helps with my letdown. Let the warm water beat down on you while you're in there and see if that doesn't work. HTH!

I also find myselve wanting the milk to come out quickly when I pump. But the truth is that when you keep on thinking about your milk the less comes out!!! I have moved my pumping sessions to the tv room, and now I whatch tv while pumping. And I have to say if I'm not thinking about it the whole time it seems as if I pump more. Just make sure that you are completely relaxed!!! Good luck.

Thanks for the tips. I don't think I've been relaxing very well. I work full time and find it hard to relax while I'm pumping. I find myself sitting there, focusing on getting the milk out any way I can as fast as I can. So I think you're right maritzape, thinking about it won't make it come out any quicker. I'll try adding music or more pictures. How about some Laurie Berkner? that aught to make me think about my LO.

What pump are you using?
    I use a Medela PISA. I like it. I had to get bigger breast shields, 27mm, and those feel so much better. And the let down feature is nice. I use that while I'm getting settled in.
    Sylvie
    Mom to Alex
    born 9/14/06

m/c 3.19.09