Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: vitamin + fluoride question

Default vitamin + fluoride question

Hi my baby just got her two month shots today and the paper work they give you says that breastfed babies need to take vitamins that are a prescription (doc didn't give me this yet)- I will call and request if this is true. ALso It say that they need Fluoride and to supplement with formula that has fluoride or given with a vitamin that has fluroide. Anyone know about this?

Default Re: vitamin + fluoride question

In my LO's Ped office there are 2 doc with different views. One says breastfeeding provides everything the baby needs. He even said if you do no eat/drink enough calcium your body will pull it from Your bones to put it in the milk for your baby automatically! We are designed to ensure our babies are well provided for! However, her other doc in the office says that BF'ing is not as important as people make it out to be. He tried to get us to add in formula alot but we stuck it out with pumping until she would nurse. Our LO is now 9.5 months old and we have decided to split the difference based on the data we could find we ate not giving her an Rx version of Tri-Vi-Sol with fluoride. I was told that All infants hate it by my LO loves it (she is weird). We are only giving her 1/2 ml (doc said to give 1ml) because it upset her stomach. We told the doc that we would start slow and add more in a month or two and he said ok.
    Last edited by @llli*mary.mud; July 25th, 2007 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Tri-Vi-Sol not Poly-vita-sol (see next post)
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

i swear by polyvisol (sp?) its not a Rx. You can buy it over the counter. It helps boost there immune system (es. when they havn't had or aren't going to have vaccinations) I am starting him with .3ml. I didn't have a problem with my dd taking it.

CORRECTION - Tri-Vi-Sol is recommended for breast fed babies.....
    Last edited by @llli*babygurl; July 25th, 2007 at 11:11 AM.
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Quote Originally Posted by babygurl View Post
    i swear by polyvisol (sp?) its not a Rx. You can buy it over the counter. It helps boost there immune system (es. when they havn't had or aren't going to have vaccinations) I am starting him with .3ml. I didn't have a problem with my dd taking it.

CORRECTION - Tri-Vi-Sol is recommended for breast fed babies.....
    Oops....Tri-Vi-Sol is what my LO is taking!!! I corrected it above too!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

My pediatrician also told me that I need to give my LO vitamins, and she DID give me a prescription. But the truth of the matter is you DO NOT NEED to give your baby vitamins. Depending on where you live you might want to consider vit D, but in most places, as long as your baby gets enough sun you shouldn't have to worry. Breastmilk has everything baby needs!

I went and filled the prescription for the vitamins, but I have yet to give them to her.

As for the fluoride, you do not NEED to give your baby fluoride, nor do you need to supplement with a formula that has fluoride.

check out this article regarding fluoride

http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_bl...bad-20528.aspx

hth!

In fact, I just read something in Parenting magazine recently that some are rethinking the fluoride thing. It seems that fluoride is found all over the place these days, and people are actually getting too much! I wouldn't worry too much at this point about that...

As for the vitamins, if they were so incredibly necessary for breastfed babies, then all doctors would be writing scripts for them. Mine never did, or even brought it up. I take that to mean that they're not needed.

When I stopped breastfeeding, my son was around 14 mos. old. I introduced the poly-vi-sol drops, and he couldn't tolerate a full dose, either.

So, do your research, and do what you feel is best.

Commercial baby vitamins do NOT boost immunity--there is zero scientific evidence of that. However, there is plenty of scientific evidence that breastmilk enhances immunity.

Healthy, full-term, breastfed babies do NOT need formula supplements AT ALL.

Most breastfed babies do NOT require extra vitamins. Here is some helpful information:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/vitamin.html
    www.llli.org/NB/NBvitamins.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi.../vitamins.html