Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: constipated 8 month old

Default constipated 8 month old

Hi everyone! I need your constipation remedies. My little guy has been pretty bound up lately, and the past week has been the worst. I have been trying to give him lots of fruits, and I cut out the cereal and the bananas, but no improvement. Are apples constipating? Thanks for any advice, I'm not sure when it's necessary to call the DR either.
    Amber, mama to

Henry 11~13~06
    Allergic to dairy, soy, egg, peanut, all tree nuts, wheat, barley, potato, chickpeas, pea

Georgia & Miles 7~7~10

Default Re: constipated 8 month old

Hi! I have heard that applesauce is constipating, however plain cooked apples are not - something about the pectin amount being different. Have you tried giving him prunes or plums? Those seemed to help my LO...

Pear juice helps my DS a lot. Apricots work well and I have also had to give him Lil' Tummies (per my ped) laxative on occasion.
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

apple juice seems to make lo's poo, def try some prunes. maybe adding some flax would help, too! i think lyn uses flax alot in cooking, maybe she has some ideas....
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

hmmm, I cook the apples and puree them. Would that be just regular apples or apple sauce?

I have some pear juice, should I try that?
    Amber, mama to

Henry 11~13~06
    Allergic to dairy, soy, egg, peanut, all tree nuts, wheat, barley, potato, chickpeas, pea

Georgia & Miles 7~7~10

Yeah go ahead give him pear juice, that would be perfectly fine.

Also a peach is good idea, I remmebr they r 4 Ps' that help with the poop, pears, peach, prunes...hmmm cant remmeber the 4th one..

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

pinapple? I don't know the 4th either..
    peas?
    dr sears has some good info on his web site
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081100.asp
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t041500.asp

I also know other people that have given their little ones some pureed pears to help constipation.

How did it work?

Well I wanna know what does his constipation look like. Now, I dont mean his actualy poo's but what you feel is constipation. if his poo's are not hard/ pellet like, it's not consipation. Mind you the "P" foods will not hurt him, obviously, but if its not true consipation, there's no need for worry, mama

ETA: call the doc whenever you feel it is warranted. That's why they work for you
    Last edited by Number3; July 26th, 2007 at 02:07 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I spoke to the doctor yesterday regarding constipation. She recommended 1/2 oz prune juice mixed with 1/2 oz. water. If he refuses prune juice, then try apple juice. Do this 3 times a day. If nothing changes, then try 1 oz. to 1 oz. the next day.

DS refused to take the juice and water mixture through a bottle or sippy cup though.

Instead I made pureed apples (not applesauce) and mixed it with some prune juice and fed by spoon. He took it this way, and it seems to be helping. I'm going to continue with it today though just to make sure.