Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can you get thrush when EPing???

Question Can you get thrush when EPing???

I don't know if this is yeast or not. Its white flaky stuff on the tips of my nipples. I can actually rub it off and it goes away. Other than this white stuff, I do not have any other symptons of thrush. And I thought it was a baby's-mouth-to-mommy's-nipple kind of problem anyway I wash & sterilize my pump parts every day, sometimes twice a day and I take a shower cleaning my nipples every day. If this isn't thrush, what is this white stuff?

Default Re: Can you get thrush when EPing???

I was wondering the same thing. Does your lo have thrush? Mine has for 2 months now. I think due to tons of antibiotics after he was born (preemie). After 6 weeks my Dr. said to treat myself by rubbing the nystatin on the nipples just in case. I do sterilise everything on the pump etc. I never had any symptoms, and the only white stuff I see is post pumping (leftovers mixed with purlan?). I guess it could somehow pass from baby to pump parts? Seems weird though, right? My daughter was a formula baby and she had it briefly, though I'm not sure how. I simply boiled everything until it was clear, and she never took any meds for it.

I had this for a while.

I eventually one day in the shower gently rubbed my (very tender) nipples and found that it rubbed off. So I did it.

After doing this, my nipples are nice and pink before I pump, but afterwards, they're wet and white. I dry them off with a gerber cloth diaper (they're so great for that!) and they still look a little white, but it eventually goes away.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

Thrush is due to moisture. I EP and had thrush due to excess moisture in the breast pads I was using.

If you aren't having any other symptoms of thrush, it may just be dried milk on your nipples. I have that quite a bit after I allow my nipples to "air dry" after pumping.

When I had thrush, it affected the areola and the nipple. I had all the symptoms. If you have a question, you can always call your OB/GYN or regular doctor. They may be able to help you over the phone.

Maybe your skin is getting dry from rubbing the pump- or it's dried milk (like the pper said), I get that too. If you think the pump might be rubbing your nipples and making them dry you ca put a little olive oil on the horn to lubricate it a little.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

From my experience, it is dried up milk. I gently rub it off after I take a shower with a towel and it comes right off. I also find that drying the nipples after I pump reduces the white look to my nipples.
    Proud mother to Xavier Brian

Yes you can get thrush while exclusively pumping. The white stuff could just be dried milk. If it is yellowish in color however it is probably a sign of yeast. I have had thrush now for almost the entire 5 months of lo life and I have been eping since day 5.