Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 month old with TEETH!

Default 5 month old with TEETH!

Hi All,

My daughter, Emily is cutting teeth (two on the bottom and one on the top) and this morning, she bit me. That is a sensation I would prefer not to experience again.

Does anyone have any tips on how to gently teach my girl that biting Mommy is not a good idea?

Thanks!

Erin

Default Re: 5 month old with TEETH!

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!! My 4 1/2 month old is cutting her teeth and has done it a couple of times. I hope someone out there has some suggestions

Hi Ladies,
    My 6 month old has had teeth since he was 4 months old. One thing that worked for me was to watch closely once the eating session has slowed down. It seemed that he was only biting down when he was finished or falling asleep. If you notice that baby is finished, unlatch before the biting occurs! Also, when the baby bites, take him/her immediately off each time and hopefully they will learn that with each bite they lose the boob!

My 5 month old cut his first teeth at 4 months. He really picked up a habit of taking a bite out of me. Man does that hurt. I would just watch for signs that he is done and then I would take him off before he go the chance to bite. Like PP I would take him off and not put him back on the breast for about 10 minutes if he would bite me. So far he has his two bottom and two top teeth and the bitting has really cut down, now it seems he only bites when he s distracted. Good luck I know how much it sucks!

I'm told that a firm "No" and pulling off the breast when it happens often works. Be CAREFUL not to be too "scary" as this can cause a nursing strike.