Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: terrible teething, pain relief for baby?

Unhappy terrible teething, pain relief for baby?

My one year old has several teeth already, which came in without a whole lot of trouble. But for four days solid now she has been agonized with teething pain, clingy, miserable, sometimes hysterical and trembling with pain, has to be ON me all the time, sleepless, etc. She's often had a fever of over 101.

I am certain it is teething and not anything else, but it is just awful

We are trying everything for her pain and have been alternating baby tylenol and baby motrin, sometimes (OK often) overlapping because we were told that is allowable. Yesterday they prescribed tylenol with codeine for bedtime and last night it didn't seem to work very well, she woke even sooner, and this morning she was woozy and vomited her milk.

Thought maybe it was just that time so I tried it again tonight and she only slept an hour (and she had hardly ANY nap today) and now she is up crying away in great pain again. I gave her ibuprofen and put orajel on her gums and an hour later she is still crying pathetically. I am letting her cry in her bed at this moment and it's breaking my heart but neither one of us has had any sleep and I am now just hoping she will tire herself out.

Can codeine have a stimulant effect? I will NOT be giving it again but I am just hating pumping all this medicine into her but the pain seems to be the worst she has ever had and she is so upset that mommy and daddy aren't helping her.

Please advise, this is just awful.

Default Re: terrible teething, pain relief for baby?

Are you still breastfeeding? Does your child want to breastfeed? Oxcytocin helps with the pain? Right around a year my son go 4 molars and it WAS brutal...but he wanted to nurse around the clock. I let him. It's exhausting to the point of resentment really....but it IS a safe and viable alternative to all the meds. The oxcytocin in your milk does help with the pain. As does being in Mama's arms.

Way too lazy for formula

to you. My lo just got four top teeth and is now working on 2 molars and so I feel your pain and exhaustion. She sticks closer to me than my shadow. I've started carrying her around again in the sling so I can get stuff done. I am alternating with Motrin and Tylenol,use Hylands teething tablets, and lots of frozen washcloths. She actually really likes gnawing on her toothbrush right now so we let her keep it close by. She also seems to find comfort in gumming string cheese.

For sleep, I've been napping with her in my bed and after the first nighttime wake up I sleep next to her crib. More for my sanity/sleep than anything else.

As far as codine, I know it makes me like popcorn. I can't sleep when I take it.
    Hang in there!

Max & Maddie's Mommy

Madeline Grace 06/02/02, reflux
    Luke Macsen 04/01/08, severe reflux, MFPI, FTT

Have you tried teething tablets?? Sometimes that worked for us. They are completely natural too so you dont have to worry about what you are putting in their little systems. The brand we use is either Hylands or Highlands. Cant remember how its spelled. Hugs to you and babe!

My daughter is going through the same thing right now. This is her sixth tooth and its the worst yet. The teething tablets seemed to help tonight at bed. She also nursed for a long time this evening and that helped her snooze a little. I also have those mesh feeder things that I put ice cubes in and she likes that, too.