Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No Poo!

Default No Poo!

Ok, ladies, this post isn't for the squeemish. I'll apologize for the TMI up front.

My 4 month old little girl has been breastfeed since the day she was born. She started going longer and longer between poopy diapers since about her 5th week. She now goes 7-11 days without having a BM - but has plenty of wet diapers instead. When she does poop, it's the normal consistency and color. She doesn't strain or grunt or seem uncomfortable at all, but boy-oh-boy is the gas smelly! The pediatrician said to do anal stimulation (take her temp rectally) and then try a baby suppository. But she's not constipated, and I sure hate to start using suppositories to prompt progress. Rectal stimulation does nothing. My instinct says to be patient and wait. But I could use some reassurance from you guys. I want to believe she's just really efficient at digesting the breast milk and doesn't make much poo.

Can you please share with me if you've had your LO go this long without pooping, and if so, when might she outgrow it. I saw a prior post on this similar issue and it seemed to say that up to 7 days was normal. What are your experiences?

Default Re: No Poo!

it is normal don't worry. I am glad that my little guy is not the only one with noxious gas.

i think that is about the age when my lo started going longer in between bms. as long as it doesn't seem like she is constipated i personally wouldn't worry about it.

my ped told me that it was normal for bf babies to go up to 7 days between pooping. because my son did that. he would only poop once a week. OMG he would be passing horrible gas before he did go to. OMG gag me. Then he would fill his britches.

good luck

Normal! My son, who pooped with every feeding for the first six weeks and then about four times a day for the next six weeks went to twice a week poops so quickyly four weeks ago that it seemed like it had happened overnight. I work full time and went like two or three weeks without changing a single poopy diaper! Less poops is awesome but with that came some godawful gas...oh my word does it ever stink something fierce. And he has it all the time. ALL. THE. TIME.

But yeah, normal. And I feel your pain.

My daughter's poop frequency slowed down around the 6 week mark as well. She went about 3 days with a BM. She had awful gas and did alot of nonproductive straining. Now she only strains at night but it's for about 20 minutes without producing any poop? This straining seems VERY uncomfortable for her. I almost want to say painful. It definately makes her cry & I want to cry too.
    Her ped has me giving her an enema before going to bed. Not sure yet if this is helping.
    Has anyone heard of this (painful straining only at night - actually it's usually around 5am)?

It is totally normal. My gal once went 14 days-not normal. Here is what happens:

Around 3 months or so breastfed babies get really good at absorbing the nurtrients from the breastmilk. The causes there to be very little waste. Then it builds up and comes out when it's there is enough and it's ready. I was told by my ped NOT to do stimulation because this will cause the muscles to stop learning how to push the poop out.

My gal was consistently going 10-14 days without poops, until I "helped" her by suppository, thermometer, karo syrup-you name it. Finally got a referall to the gastrointerologist. He said while she is absorbing all the nutrients she is also absorbing all the water. when there is no water mixed with the waste, all that's mixed is stomach bile. This causes the poop to be a toothpaste consistency(which hers was) and it is very hard to push out. This would explain the push push grunt red face, nothing. So he said to give her water everyday and that has helped! She willbe 6 mo old next week.

So as long as your LO's poops are runny and yellow, I wouldn't worry a bit!
    Proud wife to Pete, 5-9-04
    Proud 1st time mom to Lilly 2-1-07 born at 36 weeks, 5lbs 1 oz, au natural!

http://www.lillybugdesigns.com
    Handmade accessories for mom and baby
    All made with love, and by hand[/COLOR]

What a relief! You guys are awesome (and informative!). Thank you so much for unabashedly sharing your own children's poop habits with me. The shortage of poopy diapers seems like yet another benefit to BFing that should be added to the list for mommies. That is, until they do happen. Ugh. Thanks again!