Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breastfeeding and meds/ thrush help!!!!!

Default breastfeeding and meds/ thrush help!!!!!

HI!

I am quite a bit worried. We just got back from the pediatrician and he confirmed that we do have trush. he prescribed my dd (3months) nystatin and gave me fluconazole (1 dose of 150mg). i asked him if it was safe to continue nursing and he said "absolutely", so I took it. I just went online and found loads of sites that say breastfeeding moms should NOT take it as it MAY be harmful- the effects are not yet known. I should've done some research BEFORE taking it but we are in so much pain, I thought it would be fine. What do you all think? Have any of you taken this or been told its safe as well? Do you think I should have hubby feed her with frozenn milk until this drug is out of my system? and how long does that take??????

I know I have so many questions but I'm really upset of the possiblity of poisoning my little girl!

Thanking you all in advance.

Diana

Default Re: breastfeeding and meds/ thrush help!!!!!

Don't worry, I looked it up in The Nursing Mother's Companion, and it's safe while nursing. It is a potent, but low risk antifungal. For my thrush I used nystatin on my nipples, it took a few weeks to clear up.

I also had thrush with my first child! It was horrible! My dr. prescribed me nystatin cream for my nipples after each feeding and my dd took the liquid form of it. It cleared us up. I hope that all goes well for you! Don't forget to boil everything that was in her mouth! I didn't know that at first and we kept getting it back!!

anytime you have a question about drug use dr hale has a realy good web site.
    He puts out a book too, he's a doctor that just does reserch about drugs and breastfeeding.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...rMay01p37.html

Having struggled with thrush ourselves ( a persistant case that lasted about 4 months with each of my 2 children), I highly, highly recommend that you click on the link above that says "newman." He is a pediatrician who has made promoting breastfeeding his specialty, and thrush is one subject that he seems to be quite knowledgeable. He has a fact sheet about flucozonole that addresses some of your concerns. I found it through searching the kellymom.com website, but since I see his name in one of the LLL links above, I would click there. He's actually quoted by several of the main bf websites and speaking at a conference that my lactation consultant is attending, so I'd say that his opinion is well-respected.

The biggest thing that helped us was to treat me topically at the same time as the flucozonole, and we found the gentian violet to be more effective than the nystatin, but the nystatin is safest, so you are more than welcome to give it a try first. You can even get a nystatin ointment for your nipples. Another thing for us was to take acidophilus (yogurt) while cutting back on eating sweets; my lactation consultant says that she sees a spike in cases around the holidays, probably because yeast feed on the extra sugar.

Also, if you decide that flucozonole is safe after reading Hale and Newman, the one pill dose is not recommended even by the manufactorer for thrush, just for vaginal yeast. Because the milk sugar feeds the yeast, thrush should get a daily (maybe twice daily) dose for at least a week or two. I honestly think that fooling around with a one pill dose is part of what caused us to breed such a resistant case, that and using nystatin on dd without treating myself at first, giving the yeast a taste of both meds without killing it off effectively. Both my kids ended up using flucozonole suspension themselves and are still perfectly healthy, for what it's worth. It has been official approved (FDA tested) for kids over 6mo. (Mine were 3-7mo., and 0-4mo when they had thrush.)