Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bottle, no breast! I did everything! HELP PLEASE!

Unhappy Just bottle, no breast! I did everything! HELP PLEASE!

Bs'd

She's 3 months already... I didn't have enough milk, now i have a little more... now she prefers the bottle, before she was doing both... What I can do???

Default Re: Just bottle, no breast! I did everything! HELP PLEASE!

I am not sure if I will get nasty remarks on this or not...but here goes...

Take away the bottle. It will be hard, but if she has taken both, and now prefers the bottle, giving her only the breast should get her back on only that. Have you been pumping when giving her bottles? Is she getting formula or pumped breast milk? Why don't you think you have enough milk?

You could always try a nipple shield if she likes the hard nipple, then wean her off that. Could you pick up a supplemental feeder to attatch to the breast? Cup feed her if she is really really hungry and you feel bad?

There are many many options! You can do this!

Sarah

I agree with Sarah, if you want her back on breast you have to take away what is hindering the breastfeeding relationship, ie- the bottle. As Sarah mentioned you can use a supplemental feeder to get her back to breast (which will also help increase your supply) and a nipple shield if she like that plastic feel to the nipple. If she gets too hungry you can always give her a sippy (take out the stopper so it flows freely), spoon feed her or use a syringe or dropper. Also, if she uses a pacifier, take that away too and replace it with yourself. The non-nutritive suckling will help increase your supply (and she will be getting a little bit of milk). Also, if you can, take a few days (like over the weekend) and do a nurse-in. Stay in bed with her all weekend with your breasts available to her 24/7. You can co-sleep to encourage better milk production (it also saves you getting up to make a bottle). Drink lots of water and try adding herbal mother's milk teas and fenugreek (recommended doseage is 3-910mg capsules 3xday). Eat oatmeal for breastfast and snake on oatmeal cookies. There is a receipe in the receipe sections for milk boosting oatmeal cookies, I tried it and it helps, plus they taste yummy. Also, pump between nursing to stimulate prolactin (milk producing hormone), you can give her this after the next nursing session if she is still hungry. It takes a lot of work but is well worth it. You are doing a great job!
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Amanda Lynn, you wrote----There is a receipe in the receipe sections for milk boosting oatmeal cookies,

Where is the recipe section on the website? I looked and couldn't find it.

Thanks
    Dawn

I had the same issue with my DS. I started to get him back to breast by feeding him in the tub. We always take a bath together (much easier for me to wash him) and he would always root when I would lay him on my belly so I just let him "go to town". It was much easier that way and never fought me. After a few times he would just naturally try when we weren't in the tub. He still has to get bottles at daycare but barely takes them anymore (makes me worry a little cause he barely eats at day care, but the girls say he is happy through the day-so I guess he is getting what he needs) and wants to only nurse now.

Melly, thank you for sharing this! Skin-to-skin contact and warm water can work miracles with a breast-refusing baby. I'm so pleased that you and your son got through that difficult period and have gone on to a happy nursing relationship.

--Rebecca

Exclamation Re: Just bottle, no breast! I did everything! HELP PLEASE!

Dear Tei, I have currently the same problem as yours: my baby boy of 3 months has been refusing the brest for the last 10 days. Breastfeeding has always been very challenging for both of us: since I have in addition flat/inverted nipples he never latched on my breast, and he only succeeded at 4 days old using nipple shield + tube feeder with formula. Once my milk supply arrived, I didn't need the tube anymore, and we used only the nipple shield. I tried to wean him regularly off the nipple shield but it never worked. When he was 2 weeks old, he was still constantly hungry so I had to pump to increase my milk supply and I end up giving him the bottle just one time a day of my expressed milk. Then weeks after weeks, he got more and more out of the bottle, but we were doing 50/50 breast with nipple shield and bottle. Over this last month he was even more favoring the bottle. I tried numerous time to put him more on the breast and to remove the bottle, but I never succeeded. I tried even again with the tube feeder with nipple shield and without, but none of this worked. And now, for the last 10 days, he is completely refusing the breast (with nipple shield, since he never latched directly on my breast). I am pumping like crazy to feed him every day, but my lik supply is now very low ... so low ... every time my husband feed him a bottle while I am stucked pumping a full hour every 2 hours , I am on the verge to stop breastfeeding, but so far I still haven't. I need help too ! Quick ! Nothing worked: nipple shield, tube feeder, and I don't feel confident taking a bath with him. Is there anything I can do ?

Mathilde,

Have you tried using an SNS? I'm not sure how that would work with the nipple shield, but a LC (lactation consultant) would be able to help you. With an SNS baby could get supplements at the breast instead of from a bottle. Baby may be more likely to accept breast when the milk flows right away from the SNS without having to wait for let down. If you have not gone to see a LC, I would strongly recommend it. Do you know if there are any in your area?

Ilowe,

What is a SNS ?
    Last month at the LLL meeting (while he was still taking my breast with the nipple shield), the leaders helped me to try to wean him from the nipple shield by dripping milk on my bare breast to encourage him and give him immediate reward. He lached on a minute after many tries,but he screamed a lot before and after to get to this 1 minute. Then I retried at home with both the dripping and starter feeder to actually give him some let down milk right away, but he screamed and refused it anyway.
    Now I am trying to do that to put him back on my breast with the nipple shield but as soon as he senses the nipple shield, he knows that's not the one he wants and starts screaming. That's my main problem, I don't want to make him scream, because by doing so, he is also kind of rejecting me: once I have upset him with my breast, he even wouldn't accept a bottle from me: he is so upset: only dad can pacify him and give him a bottle. Now, even when I want to feed him with a bottle without even trying to pull the breast out, as soon as I lay him down in my arms for a bottle, he starts to be reactive and crying, starting to be upset. So I have to quickly put the bottle nipple in his mouth for him to quiet down. So I have fear he is kind of rejecting me when I force him to do differently from the bottle, and I am afraid to loose some bond with my baby, not only because of this, but also because pumping takes a lot of time, and I actually can't take care much of my baby. Fortunately my husband is working from home, so he does pretty much all the feeding, changing, bonding with our baby, while I harldy get to pump and have few kisses !!! That's been my life for the last 2 weeks !!!

Try and have a little confidence in the tub. Make sure that your husband is there, so that if you need help he will be there to assist or take the baby.

DS might be feeling the stress and anxiety that you are having. I strongly recommend the tub, with the lights down low, a ton of skin to skin contact, laying in bed with him. If you have a nipple problem, pump for a minute to get the nipple out, then try and get a latch. Or do some nipple twisting. I had to do that, and I will tell you that with baby #2 we had no more issues with a flat inverted nipple...

I hope this helps!

Sarah