Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New to Pumping & Need Help!

Cool New to Pumping & Need Help!

Hi everyone - I have a 3 month old and am forced to return to work next month. Fortunatly, I am able to pump at work but I would like to start pumping now and build up a milk supply. Can anyone give me some advice and/or tips on how to start and what to do? I feel very intimidated by this task and I've heard the more stressed you are the more trouble you'll have and I really want to avoid that. Thanks to all who reply!!!

Default Re: New to Pumping & Need Help!

Hi,

I am sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your post. I have so much to say about pumping I didn't know where to start. Relaxing, as you know, is a great place to start with pumping. It really does make a difference. When I am stressing about how little time I have to pump or if I'll pump enough milk for tomorrow's bottles, I try to take a deep breath and then drink a glass of water. The funny thing about pumping is I can see the difference (or hear it as the milk hits the bottle ) that relaxing and drinking water makes.

Just play around with pumping at first. Try it in the morning since that's when you'll have good supply. All you need to do now is get the hang of it and pump enough for your first day back at work. After that what you pump at work will be fed to the baby the next day.

I found Nursing Mother, Working Mother to be really inspirational and helpful. Try not to worry about pumping-- read Zoey's post on 'pumping fun!' in this forum for a laugh.

I hope this helps a bit. Let us know how it is going!

Default Re: New to Pumping & Need Help!

Not much to add from the previous post, except that is better to have short frequent pump sessions that long and spaced apart ones. Relax, maybe read a magazine or even look at baby pics while you pump might help trigger the let down reflex. Start making an emergency batch, freezing milk in small amounts so you don't waste anything, freeze all you can now and maybe 1 or 2 oz a day thereafter, in case you ever run low in express milk; and give the fresh one to the sitter. It will be nice to have multiple sets of the pump attachments, so you don't have to wash them until you get home. If anything comes to mind I'll post them later. Relax, Relax!! You'll be OK. You've the support you need here!