Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: shorter bf time suddenly

Question shorter bf time suddenly

my 4 week old, Clara, had been eating like a champ -- about 20 minutes per feeding. But in the last couple days has been eating for only about 10 min at several feedings each day and has been very fussy or falling asleep during feeding. Sometimes she will go 2 hours between feedings and sometimes 4 hours....it doesn't seem to relate to how long she fed. Could it be that I am making a lot of milk and she is just very efficient at eating?
    she seems content between feedings and has the right number of wet and soiled diapers.

Default Re: shorter bf time suddenly

She probably is just getting more efficient along with your supply getting better and better. Maybe shes trying to settle into a pattern that means less time feeding? That certainly is long enough for many efficient eaters to get what they need.

It sounds like shes fine. As long as the wet and soiled diapers are the same. My 2 week old, did this for a few days....But afterwards come those great cluster feeds!!!

Sounds like she is doing just fine

As long as she is contented between feedings, and producing sufficient wet nappies she's doing well.

They do get quicker as they become more efficient at feeding, esp at around 12 weeks where they only take a couple of minutes.

Congrats.