Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long

Question How long

I have been asking myself this question for ages:
    How long can breastmilk alone cover a child's needs for liquids.
    Can a child of say 2.5 years that eats a bit of everything have nothing else to drink than BM?
    If that is so, is there a scientific (LLL) article about it somewhere?

Default Re: How long

I would be very interested in an answer to this question.

My DD is 2.75 yrs and it is very difficult to get her to drink water or cows milk. She likes the cows milk and drank it when I was pg and had no milk but now the milk is back.

I worry about this but she seems well hydrated.

here a link from dr sears.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T045600.asp

HOW MUCH WATER YOU NEED

Infants need around 1-1/2 ounces of water per pound per day. So, each day a 20-pound baby needs around 30 ounces of fluids, usually in the form of milk. Breastfed babies don't need any extra water, but a small amount of water is necessary for formula-fed infants. In fact, some pediatricians feel that offering excessive water to infants under one year of age may actually be nutritionally unwise because excess water may fill up baby and replace needed calories.

Adults need half as much water as infants - between 1/2 to 3/4 ounces of water per pound per day, depending on the amount of exercise, heat loss, illness, etc. A 120-pound woman should drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid per day

Hi!

Sear's article is very good, but it doesn't answer my question as to how long breastmilk kan be a toddler's only drink.

So if anyone has a clue on that one...? The LLL leaders, IBCLCs among us?

I would think that BM would be enough liquid for a toddler. The water content of BM is pretty high (and higher as the baby gets older, as I understand it), so you'd think they'd get all the liquid they need from BM if their access to it is unrestricted. However, I don't have any studies to back up any of this.