Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vacuum Packing at Home

Question Vacuum Packing at Home

Does anyone else have one of those "FoodSavers" or something equivalent, and is using it to vacuum pack breastmilk? The customer service folks at FoodSaver told me that vacuum packed frozen breastmilk will last up to a year...but am curious if anyone has tried this. Good or bad experiences?

Thanks!

Default Re: Vacuum Packing at Home

i have one but have never thought about it, would you freeze it 1st?

WOW!!! I have a foodsaver and never thought of this!!! I hope someone comes along with an answer. I'd LOVE to save breastmilk for a year!!!

How funny that I never thought to use my food saver and yet I freeze my breastmilk. I wonder if it works. I hope someone has the answer.

I don't know. What are the foodsaver bags made out of? I would be concerned about "the good stuff" sticking to the sides of any kind of bag that is not lined with nylon (i.e. made especially for breastmilk storage).

For anyone interested...this is what the customer service people told me:

---------------------------
    Thank you for contacting Jarden Consumer Solutions.

Vacuum packed frozen breast milk can last for up to a year in the freezer. You can freeze it in an ice tray and vacuum it in a FoodSaver bag or use freezable Mason Jars and use the FoodSaver Jar Sealer.
    ---------------------------

I bought the slimlines trays (see separate thread) to freeze the milk in individual 1-oz sticks, and was planning on vacuum packing from there. Since the bags are kind of MADE for freezing, I THINK they'll be fine...