Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Nursing Strike

Default Help! Nursing Strike

My almost 10 month old daughter is on day 4 of a nursing strike. We've dealt with this before but usually only a day or two and get right back on track. I've tried all of my usual tricks: feeding in dark quiet room, nursing while sleepy, skin-to-skin contact, and nursing while rocking but nothing is working. I'm pumping to maintain my milk suppy and she is taking milk in a cup and with her cereal but I'm starting to get desperate and am willing to try anything right about now! Any suggestions of what to try next?

Committed to breastfeeding my baby, but soon will have to be committed if this doesn't let up!

Default Re: Help! Nursing Strike

Hi. My daughter also went through a neaarly 2 month stike at 6 months. It was awful as she had never had a bottle and was not on any solids. She and the whole family were miserable. Still don't know why it happened but seemd to have started right after she was sick with a high fever. The only way I could get her to nurse was when she was sleeping. I think that she may have had coxsackie virus with mouth sores and therefore had created a negative association with nursing (pain.) I was almost going to give up - medical community didn't understand etc, but finally, slowly she came back to me and now she is still nursing at 20 months.

Do you know of anything that could have triggered this? An illness, yelling after a bite, some sort of upset within the family (new situation or you returning to work?) Has he recently been eating more solids? Any signs teething is bothering him? Also sometimes at this age they are just too busy exploring their surroundings, and don't want to stop to nurse. Try to think if any of the above are happening and see about changing any possible triggers.

What I found to work was nursing her in her sleep. I woulds rock her to sleep and when she was asleep she would latch on a nurse easily. If he doesn't seem "upset" over the strike, rarely it means they are ready to wean. By upset I mean, it seems as if they want to nurse (may come up to you at naps etc.) then won't, and they become upset. I would keep trying - definitely try to nurse him in his sleep - it will help keep your supply too.

Try making solid food less available, and only offering to nurse for a day (he won't starve) - do not give any milk or juice in sippy cups or bottles - just water - take the pacifier away - these may seem extreme, but if you really want to continue nursing - one or two days of doing these things will be ok.

Hope this helped - I remember being in your situation feeling awful and hopeless - keep trying and email me if you have any further questions..

Default Re: Help! Nursing Strike

You haven't recently changed soaps or shampoos or detergents or anything, have you? After a week of incredibly difficult nursing I realized I'd washed my nursing pads in Tide instead of the usual detergent, and as soon as I corrected that problem, she went right back to nursing. I'd read in The Baby Book (Dr. Sears) that one mom encountered a strike because she'd changed her deodorant. They are sensitive little creatures! HTH!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?