Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: biting and a light burning

Default biting and a light burning

My DD is 15 months old and has been biting on one side. infact i have a small tiny hole on the underside of my left nipple, i've been letting it air like always as i've had no breast problems with my breasts. but i feel a slight burning from right where my arm ends to my breast i don't feel a lump. but it's been lightly burning for a few days. does any of you know what this may be it's on the same side she bites. trying to get her to stop.

Default Re: biting and a light burning

[QUOTE=christianeB;244069]My DD is 15 months old and has been biting on one side. infact i have a small tiny hole on the underside of my left nipple, i've been letting it air like always as i've had no breast problems with my breasts. but i feel a slight burning from right where my arm ends to my breast i don't feel a lump. but it's been lightly burning for a few days. does any of you know what this may be it's on the same side she bites. trying to get her to stop.:eek

So sorry you're having this issue!
    It sounds like the damaged skin might have introduced a bacterial infection maybe? Can you call a lactation consultant or someone to talk to them about it?
    What does the "hole" look like? Is it scabbed over? Does it look irritated or red or does it look like it is healing?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

hole dosen't look infected but when it closes. sometime she bite and re opens it it's just like a little slit where she bit.

I'd get in contact with an LC or health care provider to see if it might be infected. Can you nurse her in a different position so that her teeth don't scrape against the damaged skin?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Hi christianeB,
    Ouch! Biting is no fun.
    Sometimes, nipple trauma can cause a nerve response that results in shooting pains in the breast, which can also be perceived as a burning sensation. (This is known as "referred pain," when an injury or problem in one part of the body is felt in another part of the body.)
    Do you know what might be triggering the biting? Teething perhaps? The soreness from teething can cause them to nurse differently or even chew on the nipple to relieve discomfort. Sometimes offering something cold before nursing (cold wet washcloth, cold teething toy, frozen bagel, etc.) may make her feel better so she can nurse more comfortably. Does she usually bite at a certain point in the nursing -- at the beginning or at the end maybe? Recognizing those patterns can sometimes be helpful in finding a way to prevent it from happening.
    What kind of comfort measures have you been taking? You might consider hand-expressing some milk before a feeding to stimulate the let-down before putting her to the breast, or begin by nursing on the least sore side until the let-down occurs, then switching her gently to the affected side.
    You could also talk to your doctor about a pain reliever compatible with breastfeeding.
    After feedings, you might try expressing a little milk onto the nipples and letting it dry.
    Applying Lansinoh Brand lanolin can help keep the nipple moist between feedings. The Lansinoh acts as a moisture barrier to retain the normal moisture in the skin. This will help prevent a scab from forming and then coming off again while nursing.
    Applying a thin layer of an over-the-counter or prescribed antibiotic ointment to the damaged nipple is also an option. Some mothers have also had success with Dr. Jack Newman's APNO.
    Also, if you are worried about infection, be sure to contact your doctor.
    Keep us posted, OK? Let us know how you are feeling and if there's anything else we can do.

Mary