Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: wets but no poops + slow weight gain?...help this new mom please!

Default wets but no poops + slow weight gain?...help this new mom please!

hi everyone, i feel so lucky to have found this website.

my little guy is 8 days old. his weight bottomed out on wednesday (today is monday) and he gained about 20 grams between now and then. my doctor wasn't concerned and said that his weight should start to go up now.

he was born sunday 15th: 3820,
    discharged monday 16th: 3715,
    wednesday 18th:3364 and
    today 23rd: 3380 (sorry for the metric system).

do you guys think this weight looks ok??

he is peeing tons, i would say that we have had 8 wets today alone, but he hasn't pooped in the last 24 hrs except for a small smear. is that ok??? before saturday he was pooping ALOT but now it's stopped. his poops are a little yellowish, but not completely (how yellow should they be?) i'm so worried that he's not getting enough or that something is wrong. my doctor also wasn't worried about the bowel movements either. of course i trust him, it's just worrisome...

this is just so hard, i want to keep nursing but don't want him to be unwell or not getting enough from me....

Default Re: wets but no poops + slow weight gain?...help this new mom please!

First and Congrats on your new baby!!

It's really normal for babies to lose about 10% of their birth weight about the first week. I'm sorry I am an ignorant American and can't convert the metric system without my trusty calculator which I can't find But if your doc doesn't seem worried it should be ok. Very rarely does a mother not provide enough milk for their babies.

Normal poop for a bfed baby should be mustard yellow with a seedy texture. A baby isn't constipated unless they pass a hard stool. I'd contact the peditrician if it goes on for another day or so but I wouldn't worry yet.

It sound like your doing a beautiful job!! Keep up the good work and your new guy will flourish. come back if you encounter any more worrisome situations. Good luck!

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

thanks
    wouldn't you know that after i posted that, he had a major poop (thank god). his weight loss is 9 % from discharge weight, but i had a lot of IV fluids during delivery because i developed an infection...i understand this means that both baby and i were set up to lose alot of fluid in the first few days

his weight gain is only a few grams, which is about .7 oz.

if i convert it online, looks like discharge weight was 8.1 lbs, lowest weight was 7.4 lbs (last wednesday) and yesterday he was 7.45 lbs (sorry that isn't ounces, it's 7 and a half pounds)

my doc doesn't want to weight him till next week but i'm so tempted to weigh him every day at home. i don't want to become obsessed and stressed about it though.

how long should it take him to get back to his birth weight? is it different for all babies?

thank you so much for your kind help!

Quote Originally Posted by dre View Post
    thanks
    how long should it take him to get back to his birth weight? is it different for all babies?
    Hi! Welcome and congrats on your new baby!
    Sounds to me like you are really doing well.

It's perfectly normal for baby to lose weight in the first days after birth. They normally get back to birth weight by about 2 weeks.

To know if your baby is getting enough, count wet and poopy diapers. 5-6 wets a day. And 3-4 dirty ones. But breastfed babies generally do not poo regularly.

Here's more infor:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

weight sounds ok, sometimes it takes 14 days for them to regain the weight back!!!

just keep counting diapars and try and stay away from the scale.
    Some babies need to nurse up to 12 times in 24 hours to get the weight gain.
    So feeding more often can help.
    heres a good link from kelly mom's
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html

i just had my baby on the 18th of july. he went through the same thing. my dr. said that there is a point when breast feeding when your real milk comes in where there may be a couple of days or so when his digestive system is getting used to actually digesting something and therefore may have a period where he doesn't poop. it's sounds normal. the weight decrease is also normal as long as he doesn't continue losing. i guess it takes them a couple weeks to get back up to birth weight. the best advice i got was to just feed him when he tells you he's hungry, no more no less. don't get too frustrated- its a lot of work, and its not just you. it sounds like you and baby should be just fine.
    Last edited by mazi.rose; July 25th, 2007 at 12:09 PM.

hi,
    I am facing similar problems. Not sure if there's anything. My baby was born on 23 July. Pooed and wet her diaper within 24 hrs. But thereafter no poop til today, 26 July. Though there's some wetting of diapers, it is below that of the minimum requirement.
    Thus we are not sure if she is getting the neccessary milk by latching onto properly. She does sleep alot, and fell asleep while being latched on several times during breast feeding. Is this normal or do we need to get help?

congrats on ur bundle of joy!!...when I was worried bout my LO going to the bathroom I posted and someone sent me this link, it helped me a ton! I hope it helps u the same!
    http://www.umc-cares.org/health_info...&ArticleID=166

I think ur doing fine some babies take a bit longer to catch up the birth rate! u know there just like any other person and everybody is different... my DS never pooped everyday (except in the hosp.) that had me worried all the time but my DS bottomed out at 8lbs4oz the day after discharge and he is already 13lbs at only 7wks of age! and he started off slow also... so hunny don't worry read that article and relax ur doing fine!
    HTH