Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What to do after a reflux episode mid-feeding?

Default What to do after a reflux episode mid-feeding?

I am confused about what to do for my 6 week old. Some sessions he feeds "normal", finishes 10 minutes after he starts, sucks the whole time. Other sessions, he will start feeding a few minutes, then have a spell of reflux that upsets him, and that throws off the whole session. When he goes back to the breast he is on and off a few sucks at a time and ends up getting upset and is both hungry and not wanting to feed at the same time (at this point he will make hunger cries and root, but then arch his back and wail when brought to the breast). Each time it ends up 2+ hours of feeding/crying/soothing/burping that ends with me getting him to doze off a few minutes after which he wakes and feeds fine.

Is there something I should be doing after a reflux episode that would make this better? The sleeping works but only happens after a couple hours of real fussiness.

Thanks for any tips!

Default Re: What to do after a reflux episode mid-feeding?

I can't help but your post makes me want to ask another question, how do you know when your baby has reflux? Is it something that can be passed onto them from you? Cause I have a hietal hernia for example... can he end up with problems cause of it? (sorry for hijacking your thread lol)
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

I am sorry to hear your DS has reflux. I can empathize as both of my children had it and did exactly as you are describing. Both of my children were put on meds (zantac for DS and pepcid for DD) which seemed to help lessen their distress but only by about 50% so it is not the absolute answer. Both were extremely fussy, crying almost all the time for the first two months. I only BF my DS for 2 weeks but am still BF my DD (20 mths). With her, I would try and nurse at a slight incline and hold her upright for 20 minutes afterwards (it was usually only 10 min in the middle of the night as I was exhausted). Some relux babies need extra burping - you may want to try that. Also, if you have a strong let down you may want to try you least full breast first or pump until let down and then feed. These are some on the things that helped me. It does get better with time and both of my children are extremely healthy today.

Thanks Cookie for the ideas (I have been trying some of those things, but not all). I do hope it gets better as he grows older. Do you think the medicine has been worth it? Any side effects? Do they take it without problems? The doctor gave us that option, but I have been reluctant to put him on it thus far.

GavinsMommy - we actually had the ph probe test to diagnose him because he turned blue a couple times his first 2 days of life, so they ran a ton of tests on him in the NICU and reflux was the only thing that came out. I think most babies are diagnosed just by symptoms though. The ph probe was pretty uncomfortable looking.

Hi ,
    I'm also in similar condition.The worst part is my DD prefers formula over breastmilk.Whole day we have reflux episode.Its very sad to see DD unable to eat when she is hungry.I feel very terrible.Sometime I feel in these past few days she has self weaned although she is 3 1/2 month old.
    When I visit a doc office they say reflux is ver common nowadays.
    I'm not sure how good zantac is for 31/2 old although another member of the post said there are no major side effects.Lets hope they out grow this stage soon.

Mangai

For the most part, the medicine was worth it. After they started taking the medicine, it was rare that their breath smelled acidy so I knew that the burning in their chest was minimal. It does not, however, help with the vomiting. That will only decreased as they get older (absolutely gone at 11 mths) the valve at the top of their stomach strengthened. The fussiness also decreased within about a week of them starting the med's. Neither of my children have had any side effects yet but they are still quite young - my DS in now 4.5 yrs and DD is 20 mths. The medicine was bitter, so neither of them liked to take it. Both of my children were diagnosed based on symptoms. I can certainly understand your hesitancy on the meds as my DH and I struggled with that as well. It is difficult to think of giving such a young person medicine.

Let me know if you have any other questions or just need support. Reflux, for us, was a very frustrating/tiring/miserable thing (it is not like this for everyone, though - don't wan't to scare you). Like I mentioned before, it gets progressively better as they grow.

Best of luck!

I also had a good experience with the zantac. My son started taking it when he was around 2 1/2 mos, and I saw results quickly, his crying minimized a lot and he didn't look as uncomfortable as before and slept a whole lot better, I didn't have to sleep sitting up with him on my chest anymore. After a few weeks I stopped using the zantac and used it sporadicly. At 11 mos now my son hasn't has any sign of reflux for over 7 months.

I don't have much to add to the previous posts but a lot of agreement. I started my dd on zantac when she was 7 weeks old. I am very thankful that I did. She has been doing so much better now. She still spits up, but the fussiness is normal baby fussiness now. Before she would scream and scream all day long, and there was absolutely nothing I could do to console her. Now, when she fusses, she's either hungry, tired, gassy or needs to burp. It was a very difficult time for us in the beginning, but now we've had so much fun seeing her smiling and cooing so much more! I totally understand your hesitancy to medicate...I was scared too, but I am glad that the meds have helped us so much. hope your little one feels better soon!

Quote Originally Posted by sethmom
    Thanks Cookie for the ideas (I have been trying some of those things, but not all). I do hope it gets better as he grows older. Do you think the medicine has been worth it? Any side effects? Do they take it without problems? The doctor gave us that option, but I have been reluctant to put him on it thus far.

GavinsMommy - we actually had the ph probe test to diagnose him because he turned blue a couple times his first 2 days of life, so they ran a ton of tests on him in the NICU and reflux was the only thing that came out. I think most babies are diagnosed just by symptoms though. The ph probe was pretty uncomfortable looking.
    oh how scary *hugs* to you!
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

No suggestion, just support. It does go away. DS had awful reflux from birth, only our first pediatrician insisted what I was describing was just "colic" and would go away. Yeah, I would think, it'll go away because I'll throw the baby out the window!

But when we found a doctor who listened to us and what we described and prescribed Zantac, it was better. It didn't cure the problem, but it made it so we could manage. Instead of crying constantly, it was only a few hours a day even with other management techniques.

And once DS could sit up for extended amounts of time, which for him was at 5-6 months, it went away entirely. I was fortunate in that he never vomited from reflux, just screamed.

There were no side effects of the meds, other than difficulty administering it as DS didn't like it, even flavored. And you can always stop medication. I myself suffer from reflux, and I could totally sympathize.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!