Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how do you know what suction and speed are best?

Default how do you know what suction and speed are best?

okay, this is probably a "dumb" question, but how do you know what suction and speed are best on the medela PIS? my nipples are very sore. do you think i am doing something wrong with speeds? i use the suction about halfway up and always use the fastest speed... i am getting about 9 or more oz. most times i pump (for 10 -15 minutes). any suggestions on how to tell what suction and speed i should be using are welcomed. thanks!

Default Re: how do you know what suction and speed are best?

Experiment.

I use a lactina select.

It has 5 suction levels and 7 speeds. 1 is minimum suction, and 4 on the speed is "standard".

I find if I go all the way up to 7 on the speed for multiple pumpings, my nipples tend to get tender. Also, if I go much above 2 or 3 on the suction, they get very tender.

For me what works best is to start out at speed 4 and suction 1. This can be rough because it's barely enough suction for my breasts to stay in the horns. After my let down (about a minute) I usually turn the suction to 2 and the speed to 5. I leave it at that for most of the pumping. I up the suction to 3 after about 7-10 minutes (usually when I'm at work 'cause I try to get out in 15 minutes) and the speed to 7.

But I'm most comfortable when I leave the speed at 4 and the suction at 2 and just go until I'm done.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

If you're sore I would lower the suction and the speed and just pump for a longer time and see if that helps. I usually start low and go up to whatever is comfortable for each pumping.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

i use a Medela PISA, and my settings are normally on the lower end of the spectrum. And to prevent soreness, i apply lanolin after every pumping session. i think that helps me, coz i haven't really had a problem after daily pumping (initially on a Medela Mini Electric!) after 3 weeks.

Wink Re: how do you know what suction and speed are best?

My vacuum is set on medium & my speed is on 3. I just pumped 16 ounces and average 10 a session. I recommend olive oil on your nipples & horns prior to pumping, helps with friction!