Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush...will I know if I have it?

Default Thrush...will I know if I have it?

I am not sure if I have thrush. My DS has a whitish tongue but doesn't seem to have white patches on his gums or cheeks. My nipples are pretty sore between feedings (hurts for clothing to touch them) and one seems to have blistered a bit in the middle. My LO just recently was weened off a nipple shield (hooray!), so I'm not sure if it's just his weak latch that's giving me the sore nips. Basically, what I'm wondering is...would I be more sure that I have it if I did? My sister said I would probably be pretty confident that I had it, but I'm just not sure. I've read up on it, but it just seems so confusing bc all the materials I've read said you can have symptoms or not have symptoms and still have it. So if you don't have clear symptoms, how do you know if you have it?!

Default Re: Thrush...will I know if I have it?

have you felt any shooting pains? have your breasts felt itchy? are you nipples bright pink?
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Default Re: Thrush...will I know if I have it?

Sounds like thrush - at least it sounds like the same symptoms I had when I first discovered it. My son had white patch on his tongue and then a diaper rash that wouldn't go away for weeks. I had shooting pains and couldn't put a shirt on without it hurting...

www.kellymom.com has lots of info on thrush - I tried all the solutions - if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Meanwhile, anything your LO puts into her/his mouth, be sure to wash on a daily basis (including pacifiers, nipples, nipple shields, etc etc etc) if you pump, the pumps have to be washed. Bras should be washed daily, and towels should be used once (use paper towels).

Feel better! It's not easy!