Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sterile conditions required

Default sterile conditions required

The requirement that things concerning the baby be done in sterile conditions freaks me out. I'm not good at being neat and clean. But I do try my best with LO's food and clothing etc. But I second guess myself, wash my hands a million times (almost blistered) and get anxious when an item of hers falls to floor or so. Its very dusty where we live too and I try to keep the dust awy......I don't know the point of this post...maybe to see if folks would say, "never mind, just do the best you can...she'll be alright."
    i'm just tired of being anxious about her sister (toddler) touching her, or which side of the blanket is the correct side to keep her on etc...

Default Re: sterile conditions required

Sterile is a relative term, mama The things my children have come in contact with and/or injested would have appalled my mother. Yet my grandmother would think it all necessary to build a "strong constitution"

You do do the best you can and they almost always come out fine on the other end ( no pun intended )

relax and your instinct will kick in.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

whewwwww
    thanks for that...
    oh the stuff that keeps you up at night.

Oh yes- just wait until they're 12 and you're wondering, "hmmm, do I let her go to this friends house where I am not sure I care for the parents and their way of parenting??? ..."

and more!! Oh yes, it gets better !!!!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    Oh yes- just wait until they're 12 and you're wondering, "hmmm, do I let her go to this friends house where I am not sure I care for the parents and their way of parenting??? ..."

and more!! Oh yes, it gets better !!!!

And then they start dating!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
    And then they start dating!
    *i'm not listening - i'm not listening*

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

hehehehehe
    so i'll live wiht a bit of dust then
    great perspectives.
    hehehehe

I agree with ppers....a bit of dust n the odd insect is fine
    you can hardly keep track of the things they put in their mouths when they are mobile...at least they are building a good immune system

*i'm not listening - i'm not listening*
    ahh yes....dating...kissing..cuddling.. then marriage!....

hmmm...you just wonder what "dirty" things they will be in contact with during their teenage years ...how old is your oldest now number3?

There's really no need for a healthy baby to live in totally sterile conditions. According to the "hygiene hypothesis," lack of exposure to ordinary dirt, microbes, and helminths (worms) during childhood is thought to increase the risk of the child developing allergies, like hay fever and excema, and autoimmune disorders, such as irritable bowel disease, multiple sclerosis, and even diabetes. As far as I understand the hypothesis, when the immune system doesn't get challenged enough by ordinary pathogens, it kind of flips out and starts attacking the body for lack of anything else to do.

Here are some links that explain the hygiene hypothesis better than I can:
    http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn_...14_99/bob2.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygiene_hypothesis

And here's an excellent article about how breastfeeding helps mediate the development of the immune system:
    http://www.americanscientist.org/tem...true&print=yes

In short, every time you find something nasty in your baby's mouth, you might want to smile and think "That will help him grow up nice and healthy!" (After removing it, of course! )

my grandma used to say 'everyones gotta eat their peck of dirt' i dont know how much a peck is but im sure i got mine!
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.