Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Taking less EBM at 8 months?

Default Taking less EBM at 8 months?

A few weeks ago, we finally started bringing solids for LO to eat at daycare. He doesn't "eat" very much - mainly just likes playing with finger foods and might get a few bites down his throat.

But last week, ALL week, he dropped a bottle. He was taking 4 4-oz bottles, now only 3. And he's not nursing any extra at night to make up for it. So I'm worried about dehydration and my supply. It had been down anyway, so I'd increased my pumping. And now I have extra!

Is this common? Is the decrease due to the solids - or maybe he's just in a not-growing phase (does that make sense? LOL)? Should I continue to pump 4 bottles worth, or can I relax?

DS, 11/08/06
    DD 02/06/09

Default Re: Taking less EBM at 8 months?

I didn't notice much change in Nora's milk intake when we started/increased solids. I don't know, I'm sure all babies are differnt, but I undestood that usually solids are in addition to bm and don't usually replace it. I could be wrong about that. Is there anything else going on that might have made him drop a bottle? New teacher at daycare or new schedule or something?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Yeah, I didn't think that solids should supplant BM at all. It's driving me crazy, but he seems just fine. I can't think of anything that happened immediately before this change... he did start seeing a chiropractor for ear infections about a week and a half prior, but I wouldn't think that would affect it.

I'm hoping it's just a phase, and I'll go on pumping for four bottles for now.

DS, 11/08/06
    DD 02/06/09

It's been two weeks now, and still only taking only 3 bottles at daycare. Any ideas?

I'm thinking I'm going to drop the little solids he gets at night in hopes of encouraging more nursing in the evenings, but I'm still worried. He's a pretty skinny baby in the first place, doesn't need to lose any weight!

DS, 11/08/06
    DD 02/06/09

Has the ear infection been resolved? I though maybe that caused the drop in appetite in the first place?

No - he'd already completed two weeks of Augmentin when he started eating less, so I'm not sure that there's a connection. He doesn't seem to have any problems with his ears now, though he hasn't seen a doctor to confirm whether or not all the fluid is drained.

DS, 11/08/06
    DD 02/06/09

When my daughter started daycare again at 2.5 months, she was drinking 4 4 ounce bottles and then she dropped a bottle. After a few days, I started putting 5 ounces in 3 bottles so she'd be as close to the original 16 ounces as possible. This has been working for over 2 months now and I feel much better about her getting enough to eat during the day since she doesn't wake at night to "make up" for missed feedings.
    Can you do 3 5 ounce bottles?
    Last edited by BootsieCollins; July 24th, 2007 at 10:57 AM.

I think the 3 larger bottles is an excellent idea! I know my DD has started going longer between nursings now that we've started solids (my ped says that the solids sort of slow down their digestion, so maybe they don't feel hungry again as soon?). But since we're nursing, I'm sure she's probably getting more each session when she nurses than she did before. I know when I do pump, I get a lot more than I used to.

Doh! What a good idea!

Now if I can get the boobs to cooperate - they've been obligingly pumping out 4 oz per session for months now. Oh how I hate trying to mix bottles once they've chilled!

DS, 11/08/06
    DD 02/06/09

I had read that about 8 months is when they start taking less breastmilk, as they are consuming more solids.