Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Preemie Help!

Default Preemie Help!

ok, so I have a preemie. He was born 8 weeks early and lived in the hospital for 3.5 weeks. At the time he started his PO's i have a horrible yeast infection in my nipples and didnt try but a couple of times to put him to the breast. In order for him to be discharged and come home all of his po's had to be by mouth. Since he was doing well with his bottles I allowed them to 100% bottle feed and figured we'd work on breastfeeding when he came home, he wouldnt be full term then so i thought we'd have a shot....
    well now he's home. He is '38 weeks' today and he was born 6 weeks ago.
    I try daily to get him to bf. He squirms and twists his head. He's sucked a couple of time but then turns away and gets fussy so i give him the bottle he's used to...

my question.... do i have a chance? I am pumping so that he can eat breast milk in his bottles but my supply is not responding to his 'attempts' at bf and i'm worried pumping will eventually not be enough and i will have to switch to formula.... which i dont want to do any earlier than i have to...

tips? suggestions? help! I want my little man to bf but he's not getting it! How long should I try before giving up and giving in to formula? Should I try every time he eats? (EVERY 3 HOURS). any help and advice is welcomed!

thanks
    hopefull in GA...

Default Re: Preemie Help!

Congrats on your baby! You def have a chance, yes I would put him to the breast at least every 3 hours. I would also encourage you to get in touch with a local LLL and or an Lactation consultant in your area for some help right away. They are trained for situations like this! Keep us posted. Also just wondering what is a PO? Thanks

sorry...po is what tthey call feedings by mouth.... its a nicu thing i guess... shouldve clarified...

ALSO, should i stop using the bottles and just let him try and try and try??

thx
    Last edited by MasonsMomGA; February 28th, 2006 at 09:33 PM.

Hi MasonsMom! Congrats on your new arrival!

You can get your baby back to the breast. It may take a little time, and a little patience. One thing that might really help is kangaroo care/skin to skin contact. Also, you could try to nurse him when he's asleep or very sleepy. Many babies who wouldn't nurse otherwise, will in the light sleep stages. Another thing that might help is to hand express a little to get the milk flow going before you put him to the breast.
    Here is some information specific to nursing preemies:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBpremature.html
    And some information on getting baby back to the breast:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html

You might consider changing your bottle nipple type and/or method of feeding the bottle. If you're not already, consider using a bottle with a wide base. Assure that your baby is not just sucking on the tip of the nipple, but instead has a good "latch" on the bottle like he would need to have on your breast. The following links might help. They are NOT LLL resources, but they do outline some tips for bottlefeeding/breastfeeding:
    http://www.bfar.org/nipples.shtml
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
    And don't forget that a bottle isn't the only way to get food into a baby. A cup, spoon, eye dropper, syringe, finger feeding, or supplementary nursing system can serve the same purpose.

I'm moving this thread to preemies for more replies...

First off congrats.

Yes you do have a chance, as long as you don't give up. PP already gave good advice.

I had a 25 weeker and she was bottlefeed also, bf wasn't very successful for us, tried lots of things and 6 months after I brought her home, she started nursing. It was a long tough road but I kept with it. She's still nursing now at 16 mths of age and she loves it.

My ds was born 5 weeks early and weighed 4 1/2 pounds. Although he did not have a long stay in the hospital (5 days), we still had our challenges. He slept ALOT and he was bad about falling asleep while nursing. But, the doctors pounded into our heads that he simply could not miss a meal, so we had to wake him up to nurse. I would nurse him every two hours, even at night for at least the first month. This served two purposes. First, it stimulated the breast to increase production. Second, by nursing that often, he was not coming to the breast starving. Because of that, he was a little more patient with the real, but slower nipple. I think really frequent nursing was the key to our success. In addition, for the first two or so weeks, everytime he would nurse during the day, I would pump after he was done. This also helped increase my supply, which helped things start flowing faster and made him happier. Once he hit about 7 pounds, we went to demand feeding. Ds is 9 months old now and weighs in at 18 pounds!

well, we have lift off... haha
    DS decided to bf this evening. It was an event. Thing is... he didnt ltch right. and DEAR GOD was it a painful time. I didnt wanna stop him bc he was in fact bf'ing.... but holy crap! Thats enough to make you wanna scream! On top of the pain he was causing I'm fighting a yeast infection and thats not real pleasant either!! sheesh!
    taking a break tonight, giving him the bottles, and we'll try again tomorrow. I have reviewed some text and pictures and such about latching so maybe we'll so better tomorrow.... I just hope his little preemie mouth can get latched on to these not so preemie bb's....

fingers crossed...

mbc

hi congratulations
    my son was born at 28 weeks and spent 52 days in hospital. he was mainly bottlefed in hospital but i did try to breastfeed and it was a nightmare!! he fussed and stayed on it for abt 2 mins max. he is now 4 1/2 months in the begining i bottlefed him with nuk latex teats(which i found helped with nipple confusion) and put him on the breast when he wasnt so hungry or he wanted a top up. it wasnt easy at all some days id just give up. today he takes only 2 bottles of formula 100 mls (im lucky he drinks anything i give him) during the day only and the rest of the time esp in the nights he is on the breast. he sometime demands it every hour but i decided to wean him off the bottle and onto the breast. only prob i doubt my milk supply so ive been taking eglonyl everyday to boost it. i suppose with our lil preemies we just need to give them a little time but they do catch up i hope dont be disheartened and dont give up ive been there!!! for sore nipples use lansinoh its a god send!! all the best

Are you both getting treated for the yeast infection? I remember how much it hurt, but after a couple days of Diflucan it was SO much better. Also they told me not to use any lansinoh, to change my pads frequently (I did everytime he nursed/pumped) to wash my bras in hot water daily. Also need to sterilize your pump parts daily along with the pacifier/bottle nipples if they are reused. Medela has nice microwave sterilizing bags. You can use each bag 20 times and it only takes about 5 minutes. Good luck!
    Lesley

Hi
    my son was born early also, 4 weeks early and was 5lbs, lost 1/2 a pound. As he wasn't strong enough to latch on, at the hospital we used a seringe with a small tube to the nipple going to his mouth, so when he sucked he would get a bit of supplement. It actually incouraged him to suck harder. It's called supplemental nursing system (SNS). Medela has something similer to what I used. After a week of doing that he started nursing without help. And also help increase my milk supply wich was next to none for the first 5 days. It worked for us, so I thought I'd share that with you. You could always try something like that to wean him off the bottle. And he would still get milk. It was just a suggestion.