Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how many times a day are you nursing?

Default Re: how many times a day are you nursing?

Hi everyone. Sounds like we are all right about at the same place. My 17 month old nurses 2-3 times a day. When they are getting solid meals they do not need much more than that.

It will be a bittersweet ending. The beginning of a new chapter when it all ends.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Don't worry about your supply. While my dd nursed all the time at 15 months, she is now three and nurses on Sundays. Funny, I know, but I am working on weaning her. Before that she nursed once a day and I still made milk. And she skipped a day here and there. I still make milk, and back when she was sick and nursing more, my supply went up with the demand.

My ds is 19 months and has an unpredictable schedule of nursing. Most mornings when he wakes up he wants to nurse otehrs he will have nothign to do with it. He will always nurse to go to sleep whether its a nap or bedtime. Then depending on the amount of stimulation Ie: being in public, other kids over etc he will nurse less but as soon as things settle down again he will make up for that lost time. he also nurses 4 times a night still. I would say it could range from 7-20 times in a 24 hour period.

My 14 month old nurses about 3 times in the day and probably lots more than that during the night (stopped counting long time ago!). She nurses more when she's teething or ill, and less when we are out and she's very busy, but always wants to nurse when she's tired and ready to sleep.

In a 24 hour period, I would say I nurse my DD2yrs, 7-8 times. Wow...Sometimes it is for a lengthy nurse, other times, it is for a short 5 minute suckle/quick thirst... I wonder if she is talented enough she can get enough in that short of time.