Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extended Breastfeeding on GMA

Default Extended Breastfeeding on GMA

They did a story:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/sto...3424593&page=1

I was mad that Ann Pleshette Murphy said that extended breastfeeding was bad because the child couldn't self-soothe. I think that they can - plus they had an additional way to soothe in nursing.

There is probably video posted, but I am too tired today to find the link!
    Dana
    Wife to Jonathan Edward, 3/29/2002
    Mother of Alexander "Lex" Edward, 3/4/2007
    Attachment Parenting - it's not what you do, it's why you do it.
    Breastfeeding
    Co-Sleeping
    Wearing Lex as often as possible
    Daytime cloth diaperer, nighttime sposie user

Default Re: Extended Breastfeeding on GMA

That whole self-soothe argument really gets to me. You can't tell me that every 1,2,3 or 4-year old (or even older) runs to mommy to nurse every single time they are upset. My DD is only 14 months, and she rarely, if ever, uses nursing for comfort. I'm lucky to get her to nurse three times a day. She can most certainly self-soothe, and has been able to for months. Nursing has absolutely no impact on that whatsoever.

And from my experiences at LLL and with friends, many older toddlers and children who still nurse do it on a limited basis- often only at bedtime. And even if they do nurse more frequently, that's not the only way they can be comforted.

And I'm sure there are many, many children out there who were never nursed at all who still need their mommies to calm down when they are upset. That's what mommies are there for anyway.

Sorry to get up on my soapbox, that's just the worst argument against extended nursing I ever hear. Makes me crazy.
    Bee- proud mama to Maggie, 6/12/06 and Maya, 10/15/08

One of my favorite quotes from a Larry Cohen talk I heard once was this, "In order to learn to soothe yourself you need to be soothed."
    He also talked about how it's OK to trust in natural child development (ages and stages or "this too shall pass") and to trust in attachment and affection.
    Mary

The article is not too bad since APA Winters defends the need for extended breastfeeding, it is the public comments that follow that are really disheartening. I only read a few and had to stop.

Of course children who are breastfed are able to soothe themselves. Breastfeeding is just part of the parenting toolkit. Over time they rely less and less on mother and more on themselves, this is a gradual process and all children do it in someway either at the breast or with substitute objects if they have been weaned or not breastfed at all. Many adults also have objects they use to soothe themselves. Most of us are also dependent on relationships to help us cope with the stresses of daily living.

What is with the obsession in American culture about independence, self-reliance, self-soothing and other crap??? Everyone learns these things one way or another when they grow up, we don't need to make our children "independent" at 1 year old. My son is a little over 1 and exclusively breastfed, never took a pacifier, never acquired a "lovey" like a blanket or teddy bear despite our efforts to give him one. He is the most independent child ever (a little too much independent for my taste since he doesn't even let me feed him any food, wants to do everything by himself), he never asks for the boob, he is very soothed and not attached at all again despite my efforts to make him a bit more attached (I guess I am the clingy one and I was non-exclusively BF for only 6 months )

Interesting that all the medical opinions were pro extended nursing. The only negative opinion they apparently found on EN was an "ABC News parenting contributor." What does that say about her credentials? I have no idea, but in this case, I'll take the opinions of AAP and other medical experts over some journalist's unsubstantiated bias!

I was impressed to hear how the WHO I think it was reccomends 2 years of BF vs. America's recommended 1 year, and how EBF can lower breast cancer 42% - that is huge! I have only been nursing for 2 months and will decide about EBF later, but those stats were interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremijasMom View Post
    I was impressed to hear how the WHO I think it was reccomends 2 years of BF vs. America's recommended 1 year, and how EBF can lower breast cancer 42% - that is huge! I have only been nursing for 2 months and will decide about EBF later, but those stats were interesting to me.
    That's information that needs to get out there a lot. I had never considered extended breastfeeding until I heard that the WHO recommends it until at least 2-3 years old (a few years ago). That made me realize its continuing health benefits and consider that my bias against it was just a cultural thing.

My dd self soothed herself from 3 months. She breastfed for 18 months.

They should come talk to some of us ladies!

Did you all take a look at the posts on the ABC news website on this topic? There were some comments that really made me mad, but I figured there was no point in responding. One person said that those who breastfeed in public should be more concerned about how other people's kids might be affected by seeing a breast!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, come on! If a parent isn't comfortable explaining what a breast is and how it is used to feed a baby, they're the ones with problems. Their children will certainly have hang-ups, but not because they saw a breastfeeding booby once. Yikes. Very few people who formula feed can understand why anyone would nurse past a year and I guess we can just save our breath.