Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how many times a day are you nursing?

Default how many times a day are you nursing?

I am sad. Ryder is almost 15 mths and is only nursing 2 times a day. I am nursing him in the morning and right before bed. I am not sure if he is even getting much at night time.
    I would like to keep on nursing him but I feel like my supply has dropped. My goal was to nurse till 18 months or even 2 if I could.
    Are we coming to the end of the journey???? I am just not sure if I am ready to give up. I Know he still enjoys nursing, but maybe it's me who enjoys it more?
    Whitney wife to Darren~~~~BWing and CDing and BFing (duh!)
    Mommy to Jace and Jadon identical twin boys (4-15-01)
    Mommy to Skyler(rambo) (2-28-04)
    Mommy to Ryder (5-02-06)
    Sawyer is here!!!!-(5-08-08)overdue!

Default Re: how many times a day are you nursing?

I'm nursing my 17 month old about twice a day - b/4 nap and bed. I've been home on maternity leave since the end of May. Sometimes she nurses more than twice. Last week there was one day when I nursed her 6 times! She was having one of those days but....just yesterday I noticed a molar cut thru so that was probably what the increased nursing was.

I'm with you - I'm going to miss when she's done. When I go back to work it will most likely be back to once a day at night before bed. It's such a great bond w/ your little one isn't it?

I've been cutting him back so we're down to 4-5 times in a 24 hour period. But before I began cutting him back we were more at 8 or so. I notice now that we nurse less he's so excited to nurse.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

We're doing 3x a day right now (waking, nap, and bedtime), and maybe a couple more times at night. We're going to lose the nap nursing session in September when he starts daycare, and I'm thinking of night weaning as well sometime this summer. However, I do want him to still have a good dose of antibodies for when he starts daycare, so I want to be careful not to let my supply drop too low.

You know, they can go quite a long time nursing once or twice a day, and still get benefits from it, so don't despair that its coming to an end just yet!
    Last edited by annie; July 23rd, 2007 at 09:27 AM.
    Annie
    Mama to Jeremy Daniel (12/10/2005)

I'm a late cloth convert...and you? :tumbsup

Zach just turned 1 and we've cut down to just the essential nursing sessions. 4-6 times during the day and 5 or 6 at night. I'm interested in seeing if he naturally starts cutting down even more. I think it would be nice to be down to 4 or fewer times in 24 hours by the time he's 2.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

DD is 22 mos (almost 23!) and nursing about 3 times per day. We've been at about 3 sessions per day for a while now.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

My daughter is 16.5 months and nurses about 6 times a day. Guess we're on the high end...

Lucas is 15.5 mos and we just cut back from 6 to 4X a day. I do feel sad; like it's the beginning of the end but in a way I'm anxious to get to 2X/day and stay there for awhile - then I can start wearing regular bras again!

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

My son (12.5 months) nurses 4 times a day (wake up, morning nap, afternoon nap and bedtime) and then a bunch of times at night. He doesn't eat much solids so I let him nurse at night.

My daughter is 14 months old. We nurse 3x a day- wake up, naptime, and bedtime. We will also be losing the naptime nursing session when I go back to work next month. She is definitely losing interest, so I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep her nursing, but I guess I'll just follow her lead.
    Bee- proud mama to Maggie, 6/12/06 and Maya, 10/15/08