Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Choking Episode

Default Choking Episode

Ok, i initially had issues when my LO came home from the hospital because he choked on some amniotic fluid while in the hospital and scared us all. I was on pins and needles every time he slept for fear he would start choking. I have since gotten passed the episode and have become much more comfortable about all his noises while sleeping. Now he is 3 weeks old and just at 5lbs 13oz. We have finally established breastfeeding without the nipple shield and he's doing well. Today my husband had to leave for a few days for business so this is the first night that it is just me and my LO. All seemed to be going well and we were finally going to sleep for the evening. I still check him on occassion for noises, but nothing has ever been alarming... until tonight. I heard him make some sort of noise that was like a spit up and I got up to check on him. He had a ton of bubbly saliva in his mouth, but his face was really red and he definitely didn't look like he was happy. He cried out and then spit up cottage cheese out of his mouth and his noise. He seemed to be choking on the spit up. I turned him to hit his back and he did cry out again, but then seemed to have difficulty breathing. This went on for a few minutes with him just being red in the face and the thick saliva everywhere and then he would cry out and try to breath in or breath through his nose and I kept trying to figure out if we were resolving or if i needed to call 911. I got the bulb out and tried suctioning the saliva from his mouth and tried to make sure that nothing was in his nose. It was thick saliva reminding me of our incident in the hospital with the amniotic fluid. I have basically been up since this happened holding him on my chest fearful to put him down and repeat the incident. Someone please tell me if you have had similar incidences. I'm assuming he choked because he spit up while lying on his back. I have two more nights on my own and I'm a nervous wreck now! Not that my husband being here would stop any incident, but I'm a new mom and so uncertain about why he did this, if he'll do it again and if i did the right thing this time or what i should do to help prevent this. HELP!

Default Re: Choking Episode

I think I would give your pedi. a call. The nurse would be able to tell you if they need to see him or if what you experienced is normal. Personally, for something scary like that, I would call. They are happy to give new moms reassurance if needed.

give them a call and let us know if you can what they say

Unhappy Re: Choking Episode

Well, basically after calling the ped i didn't really get much more than spitting up is normal and I can elevate his bed to help with the reflux. He basically said he wasn't concerned and to be more concerned if he got upset with spitting up which would mean reflux issues. I have since tried to do my own research and am feeding him smaller but more frequent meals to help with his small stomach. He has done well today during the day, but he always does well during the day. He has been burping but no spit-up with it. I am doing what i can do just treat reflux even though i don't think he has a case of it that is severe... just the typical new baby reflux. Still doesn't help thr evening anxiety.

Hugs. Its never easy getting used to all the little noises and seeing spit up like that is always scary. I just started my ds on zantac a couple days ago because his little throat was so red from the silent reflux (he wasnt spitting up). If I didnt take him in to get his throat checked, I would have never known something was up. But he was making crazy noises from his throat so I knew something was up. More hugs to you and if there are more episodes I would get him into the pedi and make them take you seriously. I dont know whether meds are the smartest way to go or not, but I sure didnt want my baby in pain.

My DS did the exact thing only we did not hear anything strange until he started crying. It was around six am, my grandmother was in town helping me, and she brings him into our room saying that something was wrong. He was bright red, crying, and spitting up so much salvia he looked as if he had rabies. It actually soaked a large cloth diaper. He scared my husband and I to death. We took him to the ped as soon as they opened. Turns out DS had aspirated due to reflux. The ped said this was the number reason parents ended up in the ER. It is just very scary to mom, dad, and baby. We have since started Prevacid for the reflux and he seems a little better -- still spits up a ton, but it's not as painful now. I hope all is better today. Hang in there and know that you are not the only one.

I really appreciated reading about this mother's experience because my newborn just this morning had the same issue. In the hospital she frequently chocked on thick saliva-like gunk. I tried to rest on my ped's words that it was a typical thing for c-section babies to spit up amniotic fluid after birth, no matter how scary it was to have my baby turning bright red and struggling to breathe. Many times during the night I suctioned her mouth, and did it once again this morning.

I was just in the ped's office yesterday with a bleeding umbilical chord and didn't necessarily want to go back again today for something that seems major to me but will have a very simple solution from my doc--what they tell all mothers who have acid reflux babies. So, thank you very much for sharing your story. It brought another Mommy comfort today.