Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: medication question

Default medication question

I am due to have some dental work next week, and it's sort of freaking me out. My dentist was going to prescribe me one valium to take the edge off my anxiety... I called my ped and they said it passes into breastmilk so I shouldn't take it. I have gotten info online that advises against its usage, but started to think it was more geared toward long-term use.

Does anyone know if I could take 'one' pill the morning of my procedure, then pumped for the rest of the day would it be okay?

I can probably suck it up and go without it, but it might not be pretty!

Thanks for your thoughts.

~Tina~

Default Re: medication question

This is what I got from The Nursing Mother's Companion:
    Benzodiazepines. Of all sedative drugs, these are the most frequently used. They include alprazolam, chlordiazepoxide, diazepam (valium), flurazepam, lorazepam, oxazepam, triazolam, and others. Although these drugs are safe in adults, newborn infants do not readily metabolize them; the long-acting drugs in the group accumulate in the infant's body. This make the baby drowsy, and, in some cases, may interfere with the binding of bilirubin in the bloodstream. These problems are accentuated in premature and newborn babies. Preferable benzodiazepines are short-acting and reach breast milk in lesser amounts, and are therefore unlikely to cause drowsiness. Safer benzodiazepines include oxazepam, lorazepam, and triazolam.
    Two sleeping medications similar to the benzodiazepines are zaleplon and zolpidem. These are very short-acting and appear in milk in very small amounts, so they can be used while nursing.

There are several things to consider when taking a medication. This link gives an overview:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/medications.html
    This part is most pertainant to your situation:
    "What is the duration of the drug therapy? The duration of the drug therapy can affect its compatibility with breastfeeding. A drug considered compatible with breastfeeding when taken for a few days might not be compatible when taken over a long period of time. "

This is a message that was posted on the author of Medications and Mothers' Milk, Dr. Hale's, website. You might find it helpful:
    http://66.230.33.248/discus/messages/56/7971.html

If you'd like, I can post the direct quote from Medications and Mothers' Milk for you. LMK!

Hi Tina,
    I am going in Thursday for dental work so I understand what you are going through. I am NOT looking forward to it!

I was also looking for information on drugs and breastfeeding and found some great information on this webstite. http://www.kellymom.com/health/index.html

HTH!
    Tracy

Thanks for the info ladies! I found something that's compatible with breastfeeding (triazolam). I'll probably pump and dump once to be safe.

Good luck Thursday Tracy... mine was moved up til tomorrow. Ugh.