Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teething?

Default Teething?

I've noticed an increase in drool today. It's not dribbling everywhere yet, but I did find some on Owen's chin for the first time today, and he's getting it all over his fists (he's started putting his fists in his mouth and licking them, which I guess just means he has finally discovered his hands). He has also been extra fussy this afternoon and evening, as if something is uncomfortable. Does this sound like the early signs of teething? I know that a lot of drool can be a sign, but how much is a lot? He has also started making little spit bubbles - especially after a long nap.

Is 11 weeks old too early?

Default Re: Teething?

Hi

Babies tend to start to drool from a couple of months, as they don't know how to swallow there saliva, and as you said putting their fists in their mouths can also be a developmental thing as well as a teething symptom.

It's def not too early though for you little one to start teething, some babies have been known to be born with a tooth, so 11 weeks isn't too soon. Find out when you or your partner got your first tooth as in most cases, hereditary patterns will follow.

Teething symptoms can sometimes go on for a couple of days, weeks or even months before the tooth emerges, but hopefully if it is teething it won't take too long to come through.

It certainly sounds like he could be teething, esp if he seems fussy as well. My daughter's classic teething signs are fussy at feeding, fussiness during the day and night with disrupted sleep patterns, eczema on her body, excessive drooling (when it's constantly coming from their mouth), biting down on everything she can put in her mouth, these signs last for a week or two for her, and then she gets nappy rash and the runs for the few days before the tooth emerges.

Sorry for the long post Every baby is different though and will have different teething signs, you'll know exactly what to watch for when his first tooth arrives.

hiya. yup sound like teething. my lo was about 11 wks when the midwife actually pointed out to me she was teething. have a little look at owens gums, bet at the bottom there are tiny white buds of teeth appearing in a couple of places. my lo dribbles little trails everywhere now (she is 20 wks) and blows bubbles constantly, also she will chew anything that happens to be near her mouth, especially my shoulder. i think it must come and go, cos nothing has come through yet, but she appears to have days when it's hurting then nothing for a couple of days. hope that helps.

I'm actually going through the same thing with my DD, who is only 9 weeks old. She just started drooling excessively in the past few days and gnaws on everything, including her fists. She will even chew on the pacifier if I give it to her! I am planning on talking to the pediatrician tomorrow about it when we go in for her 2 month check-up. From everything I've heard, some babies do begin teething very early, but it doesn't necessarily mean the actual teeth are going to come in soon, they could be teething for quite awhile before a tooth appears.

My LO has been drooling since 10 weeks and he's 4.5 months now... for some reason he drools and makes those razz noises more and more towards the end of the day! It's quite normal - some say it could be teething, but nobody knows when the teeth will come out!

My pediatrician suggested putting Aquaphor on his chin to prevent any rashes/eczema - it's worked great!

Thanks for the info! My mother-in-law suggested I put my finger in Owen's mouth to see if he would gnaw on it. He was definitely trying to, but he also still has the tongue thrust reflex going on, so he would chew, then push out with his tongue, then chew, then push out, etc. His cousin started teething around 2.5 months, I just found out, so I guess it's hereditary. I took forever to get my teeth though. My mom likes to see that she thought I would walk down the aisle with no teeth and a pacifier in my mouth (took me forever to give that up, too. lol!) I need to find out when DH got his first tooth.

Abby is 10 weeks today and has been doing the same thing. The exessive drooling, and the crankiness during certain times of the day. When dad first suggested teething I told him "impossible" but then the drool increased as did the gnawing at her fists. I continued to doubt until I asked his mom. Grandma told me ALL SIX of her kids began teething between 2 and 3 months, and that dad had his first tooth by the time he was 3 months old. So...I guess she's teething! Who knows how long it will take before I see the actual tooth or teeth.

My six year old had teeth around 5 months, poor child got all her teeth 4 at a time, starting with the front, 2 on top, 2 on bottom, then the canines ect.

and she recently lost her first baby tooth, it was pushed out by her first adult tooth coming in. 6 years old and she ALREADY has a big girl tooth!

Sorry so long, just sharing.