Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pain in breast when holding baby

Default Pain in breast when holding baby

I have been pumping for my 1 month old who was born at 34 weeks. I have been doing this since she was born. I have noticed how much my breasts have hurt since I have been pumping. It hurts so much just to hold my baby. My two year old gave me a hug and hit my nipple and I almost cried it hurt so much. Could something be wrong? My breast otherwise look normal.

Default Re: Pain in breast when holding baby

It could possibly be thrush.

However, there is usually more to thrush than sore nipples. You can read more here: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/thrush.html

I have a few questions.

What kind of pump are you using?
    What settings are you using?
    Do you pump when you're very full?

I am renting a medela lactina. I find that when my nipples are tender, I pump on the minimum suction (or just above it) and on the standard speed or lower. At work I tend to increase the suction and speed a bit and sometimes they get tender.

Also, what size is the breast shield? If you're using a medela pump, you can get different sizes. For me the regular was too small; my nipples were rubbing against the horn. I went the next size up, large, and now it's my areola that gets rubbed against the horn sides. I also get more milk this way, because if the shield is too small it can restrict the ducts, and sometimes even cause duct problems, like clogs.

You can read more on selecting the right size shields here: http://shop.nurturecenter.com/chcobr.html

ohh I'm sorry your in so much pain! I felt the same way a few weeks ago, I thought I had thrush, turns out I had severly cracked nipples! (i didn't even notice the cracks) but it hurt to just wear a shirt! I didn't bleed but they got really raw and pink... but u could have thrush! I found www.kellymom.com to be very helpful... I don't pump though but u can go to that site and maybe it can help u understand what u are feeling... hope this helps.. good luck and I hope u feel good soon! keep up the great work I honor ur commitment! it will get better

I am using the medela Pump in Style.I start in the Minimum mode and then move to the medium. Never going above the speed of 2. I have been trying to pump every 3 hours. But that is hard during the night. The shield I am using is 24mm. I was wondering if it was too small. It does seem like my nipples are rubbing against the sheild.

It is my entire breast that hurts. Feels like they are just two big blisters. But the center hurts the most.

I think I would try to see a LC to see what is going on. She might notice something we would never think of just by seeing you. She could also tweak how you are pumping if needed and check the shield size for you.