Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: "routine" is not in LO's vocabulary!

Default "routine" is not in LO's vocabulary!

Nights are driving me nuts. My boy is 3 1/2 months old. I went back to work four weeks ago and started cosleeping three weeks ago because I was feeling awful (tired and irritable beyond acceptable levels) every time I'd get up to nurse at night. We finally mastered side-lying nursing and that's been very helpful, but my son is so unpredictable at night that it's really not helping my irritability, impatience, and anxiety. I'm so grateful that we can usually get him to go to sleep at a reasonable bedtime, but I never know from night to night how often he's going to wake and want to eat. Some nights he'll want one feeding during the night and others it's three. I'm so desperate for a solution even though I fear there is none because there is nothing we haven't tried.

Another issue...DH is a SAHD and he is having trouble getting the little dude to nap well during the day...apparently he only really wants to sleep when mom is attached. It seems like no matter what we try, daytime naps don't last more than half an hour, and sometimes it takes that long just to get him to calm down and go to sleep. It just doesn't seem right that we're still having all these struggles.

Despite all evidence to the contrary, I'm convinced my baby should be able to get through the night without eating every two hours. Sometimes when he wakes at night he's not actually hungry and some patting on the back and/or a pacifier does the trick. Other times nothing but the boob will chill him out. A baby who always needs the boob to sleep without a fight is a problem when I'm gone for ten hours a day five days a week.

I feel like I've heard all the suggestions for dealing with this already and I just don't know what to do!

Default Re: "routine" is not in LO's vocabulary!

Be encouraged! My dd was the same way. We had no semblance of a schedule until around 6 months despite my best efforts! She wouldnt sleep at night or during the day! I clearly remember those days! My ds is now 3 months and he is so much better! He is currently waking 1-2 times per night. I often suggest the Babywise book, while I know it is controversial around here. I am not a fan of all the things he says, I would never let my lo cry for 45 minutes alone in his crib! But the principles of scheduling are good goals. We have found a kind of balance between feeding on demand and scheduling. When my lo is hungry, I feed him! That's my job as his mom! However, we try to get a "full" feeding when he is hungry to help him go longer between feedings. My lo sleeps in a bassinet next to my bed, but hopefully soon I will be moving him to his own room to help him sleep better (Although having him close is sooo much easier! But I also think that having him close makes him want to wake up and eat more.) HTH!

Yes, none of my kids had any sort of schedule until they were like 10 months old. And, my son woke up to feed every couple of hours until he was like 6 months old.

Naps do take a while to stretch out. Some babies just don't want to take a long nap during the day. My youngest didn't, either. There were times that I'd literally take him for a ride in the car, because it was obvious he was still sleepy, but he wouldn't sleep, and he was too crabby!

Hang in there, and tell your DH to hang in there. Things will get better!

I am so feeling your pain! I go back to work next week and my son is the same way. I have been co-sleeping w/ him b/c it's easier to catch some sleep when I can nurse him sidelying. But I am convinced it's making him snack more.

As for the naps, I read that it takes longer for those to sort out so i am trying to focus on the nighttime first. Our son sleeps in the swing and stroller everyday for naps!