Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: So sick of this

Default So sick of this

So DD is almost 8 mos. and since around 2-3 months we have been doing the teething thing, with 3 or 4 days/nights of fussiness, pain, etc., then a few good days, then back again. Which always leaves her not wanting to nurse when she's in pain. Add to that the fact that my milk seems to be getting slower and slower to let down with time. She gets so frustrated at having to wait, especially when she's in pain. So lately I've started pumping until my milk lets down when DH is home to hold her, but if I don't do it soon enough, she gives up entirely on the idea of nursing, and then I can't get her to nurse even after I've gotten things "going" for her. The battle always seems to be the worst in the evenings when I'm tired, and unfortunately, DH is not always home in the evenings to help. I'm just so frustrated with this. She just gets so fussy and upset in the evenings still. I really thought we would be past this by now. What do you do with your LOs when they want to nurse, but don't want to nurse? How can I get my milk to let-down faster? Some nights I just really hate nursing/being a mom. I just hate feeling like I wish I'd never had a LO.

Default Re: So sick of this

Oh mama!!! I feel your pain, my dd is 5.5 months old and she's teething too. I'm not sure I have too much advice for you, have you tried a little teething gel??? What about tylenol, or a teething ring, or cold, wet washcloth?? Or wash your hands and rub her gums with your thumb. About the letdown, I have one side that takes 4 ever to letdown, I don't give her that one 1st, I give her the one that lets down the fastest. I find if I drink water right before I nurse and during, I let down faster.
    I feel pretty overwhelmed too, especially since I have a 2 year old in addition, so I kind of know where you're comming from. Needless to say, my 5.5 month dd does not sleep through the night yet!! All I can say is be patient, you've made it this far and you should be proud of yourself. GL

oh hunny I know how u feel! my LO is almost 7wks and is going through a LONG growth spurt almosta week already! he is never satisfied he's always crying... he latches on then pops off! he eats too often I can't keep up yet! I have a DD who's almost 2! and trying to keep up with things is hard... I too wish that it was just me and my DD again but its all worth it! too see there little smiles and there adorable little responses (after the fact) makes all the frustration go away! I envy ur accompishments of getting that far! like I said my DS will be 7wks on tuesday and I'm already struggling so hard I'm like an emotional rollercoaster! just keep up the awsome work and u'll get over this mountain also! and then you'll be happy that u stuck with it! your doing great try to keep ur head high

My LO does this sometimes. Here's something that sometimes works for me - especially when I'm trying to get him to nurse before putting him down for the night. If he is doing the fussy thing, ie: latching on and popping off over and over again, I will give him his binky and lay him down in front of me in a nursing position. Then I just rock with him in that position until he gets really drowsy - he has to be almost asleep. Then I open up my nursing bra, carefully pull the binky out of his mouth, and latch him on. At this point, he's too drowsy to really know what's going on, and will nurse away. Of course, this will only work if your LO is already getting tired.

Poor mama! We have had our share of troubles like this too, although not yet teething related. We've had gas and overtiredness and nursing pads washed in a detergent she didn't like and just plain fussiness.... I know it's exhausting and discouraging.

I do the trick that boudicca13 suggested, getting Haley sleepy with her paci and then making the switch. I also hold her in a nursing position but stand up and sway or bounce with her. And the very best method I've found is to turn on some sort of white noise, usually the hair dryer (vacuum cleaner or shower water also works) and hold her in nursing position while we stand near the noise source. She eventually relaxes and latches right on.

Hang in there!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

My son had very similar problems since he is 3 months old (he is 12.5 months old now) and they peaked at 5.5 months. He was doing exactly the same thing: fuss, not latch on, be impatient with the let-down, pop on and off (and as he fussed I got more stressed which delayed the let-down even more). I thought it was a growth spurt and I didn't have enough milk because of his previous episodes of refusing to nurse during the day so I started giving him cereal in the evenings which I regret because I really didn't want to start solids until 6 months but I didn't have a choice because he wouldn't take a bottle (from my freezer stash or what I can pump in the mornings.) Does your LO take a bottle? If so I would suggest giving a little bit of EBM in a bottle in the evening before nursing maybe than the impatience will be solved? After she is done you can pump both to protect (and eventually even increase) your supply and have next evening's extra milk.