Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when can i start breastfeeding?

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default when can i start breastfeeding?

My baby will be one month old tomorrow (Tuesday). While in utero, she/we had a condition called IUGR which means that while she developed normally, thank goodness, she didn't gain much weight. She was born at 4 pounds 4 ounces and everyone, the nurses, doctors and lactation consultants told me NO BREASTFEEDING until her suck is strong enough. Basically, it's important that she gets breastmilk but she needs to be bottle-fed so that she gets a lot of food in the easiest way possible. So I've been pumping like a madwoman but I only pump about 1 ounce per pumping session. My little one eats about 2 ounces at every feeding which means that I have to add 1 ounce of formula to each bottle. I am assuming, since it wasn't made totally clear by my lactation consultant, that I cannot try to breastfeed her until my milk supply is at about 2 ounces - otherwise she'll lose weight and we absolutely cannot have that. No matter how much I pump, it just doesn't get up there and I fear I'll never be able to breastfeed her. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know how to get the supply up? I'm drinking the tea, taking fenugreek pills, drinking tons of water, etc but nothing seems to be doing it.

Default Re: when can i start breastfeeding?

Unfortunately for most mamas, a pump is nowhere near as efficient at emptying the breast as a LO is. Is there any way you could nurse your LO first, then supplement afterward? That might definitely help increase your supply. Good luck!

Oh, wanted to add - could you use an SNS while nursing, so your LO is getting pumped BM/formula while nursing to empty your breast? That way your LO doesn't get confused going back and forth between breast and bottle.

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Well, that's one of my questions...she falls asleep after (or during) drinking breast milk so I can't imagine that she'll then take to drinking from a bottle after that. Do people have success doing that?!!

In a way, it's silly to even ask since she hates breastfeeding and just won't do it- she's never done it and cries and wails every time I try. It's been almost two weeks since I've tried because everyone tells me she's not strong enough. But I keep hoping that one day I'll be able to get her to breastfeed...it's just not working out right now.

mama_p took the words right out of my mouth. I would definitely try to get baby latched in one way or another. That's the best and most sure-fire way to help increase your supply.

ETA: We posted at the same time, so in response to your post, have you tried tapping her feet or gently blowing on her? Those helped my DD stay awake a little longer at the breast. Also, your LO (little one) is going to be frustrated with the breast because it's not the instant gratification of the bottle. It will take some perseverance on your part, but you can do it.
    Last edited by @llli*evin; July 23rd, 2007 at 02:16 PM.

Well, I know when my LO was first born, I had to wake her up/keep her awake to get her to get full nursings in all the time. There are lots of ways to do this - diaper changes in the middle of nursings (mid-boobs for me), tickling your LO, I weould sing real loud, fast paced songs, etc. I'm sure some other mamas could chime in with some ideas too. The SNS might really help to get your LO interested in nursing if she's getting rewarded with milk for her efforts. Hopefully some other mamas who have BTDT can help with some more ideas. I think the longer you wait, the harder the transition will be (though not impossible). Good luck!

hahaha! Posting at the same time again!

My nephew was born prematurely, and they fed him with a tube to prevent nipple confusion, and allowed my sil to breastfeed him once a day, at first, so as not to tire him out too much. I would definitely recommend trying to get your lo on the breast as much as possible, and consider looking into a SNS.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Also using breast compression to get the milk flow into the babe's mouth works when my LO falls asleep--look at the Dr. Jack Newman handouts & videos on the web--(I don't have the link, so just Google his name). HTH

Good luck, mama! Perserverance is the key.