Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What Should Pumped Nipples Feel Like??

Default What Should Pumped Nipples Feel Like??

Hi All,
    My newborn is 4 weeks old. I breastfed at 5 hours old for the first time, and he was fabulous! No pain at all! Unfortunately, after that first feeding... doctors noticed major concerns (he was puking up bilious bile and couldnt' stop!)... and as a result, he was transferred to the children's hospital and placed int he NICU for the first 2 weeks of his life. While there, I was NOT permitted to feed him until he was 4 days old (he was fed NOTHING but iv fluids the entire 4 days). I immediately began pumping and immediately developed a big blister, and bruised nipples (on the first pumping session with hospital pump - ouch!).

Anyhow... I continued to pump about every 2-3 hours during the day and 8 hours or so at night... When I could be at the hospital with DS, I would work on latching him on as often as possible (not a ton though because nurses often fed him before I arrived -- grrrr -- from a bottle!)... He got breastmilk or formula depending on whether I had pumped enough for the feedings...
    I've worked on latching with him, and met with some success between last night and today (he is now 4 weeks old and we hadn't tried to latch in about a week due to the pain!). His latch doesn't bother me at all on one side.

BUT:
    On the OTHER side... I can't even PUMP without serious pain at first! I have to keep re-adjusting the horns, and trying to get the nipples to NOT rub the sides... and it takes forever to get a decent spray going on that side! I can't really even latch DS on that side due to the pain! After about 5 minutes of pumping, the pain eases up and I can do the rest comfortably. I notice that when I pump, the nipple turns white from half way up to the top... no matter how low the suction is. On the lowest setting, there is no milk flowing or dripping. On medium I get a decent spray going after a few minutes of severe pain. It looks like a triangle the nipple once I start, and takes a while to look like a normal non puffy nipple.

I have APNO (all purpose nipple ointment with medication for dryness and yeast), and I am taking acidopholous to be sure its not yeast... along with pump soup (sterilization by boiling all parts) after each session. When I first began, this side was ok, and never hurt at all. It seems a bit cracked, but nothing is helping! I'm unable to even wear a t-shirt without a bra and pad because it hurts! Its better with the pad in place. I also have breast shells that I'm using as well to try to air it out...

So I ask... what should pumping feel like? Is this normal? On both sides when I pump, the nipple looks BIG! It gets sucked in nearly all the way to the end of the horn! I have larger horns, but I still get the triangulating on the one side. I have NO areola... so it sucks up breast tissue (ouch!). I was told to use the smaller size horns due to this issue...

Any ideas? Anyone?

Smile Re: What Should Pumped Nipples Feel Like??

ewww! i know what ur goin thru! i boght all the diff size horns or sheilds it still pulls my nips in pretty far my areola rubs not my nip but that still hhurts. iv been pumping for 7 weeks and i have to work up to full suction. i have a puump in style and i hold on tube off and slowly put it on. it always hurts in the beg. and after 5/10 min i guess they get numb! everyone says pumping doesnt hurt but ive never been completely pain free! goodluck girl what kind of pump do u have

Default Re: What Should Pumped Nipples Feel Like??

Its a purely yours pump... by Ameda. Its a good pump... but I have NEVER pumped without pain. And this is my SECOND child. I couldn't b/f first son because he had severe tongue tie and blistered me BADLY by chewing on me our first few attempts. He had it corrected at 24 hours old because it was sooo severe... but by then... I had serious nipple trauma! I couldn't even pump without crying after that! And besides which, I never had a drop of colostrum until 5 days after his birth, and then milk never really came in. I at least have a half decent supply this time... but what the heck is with the pain? Should the nipple NOT be pulling at all? Because it is! I can usually get one side pumped without cringing... but on that other side, I gotta work up to any suction. Imagine how bad it hurts when DS latches? We are still working on the latching... he was a NICU baby for the first two weeks, so this has been a tough go.

You may need a smaller flange if you have little areola... I have large areolas and they told me to get the biggest one. My entire areola goes into the flange when I pump . I don't think the breast tissue should be getting sucked in like that. Definitely sounds painful. I'm not familiar with Ameda pumps, I use Medela Pump In Style which is considered the best. If you end up pumping long term it might be something to look into.
    I'm not familiar with Apno either, but I love Purlan as a lubricant to reduce the friction, so that even when the nipples rub the sides it is far more managable. I lube it all around the opening and inside the flange. It has also been great at keeping me crack free and moisturized. It is also by medela.
    My left side is always painful at first, so I start out at a mininum suction and build up. It may take a couple extra minutes because the flow doesn't start right away, but at least I can ease into it and build up to the stronger suction.
    I am with you on the nursing difficulties. I'm inverted and was unable to nurse either of my kids . With my first child I couldn't pump because it was sooo painful. I didn't find out about different size flanges until baby #2. He was a preemie and just too little to do the extra hard work of pulling out an inverted nipple. I've been pumping exclusively for 3 months now and feel very proud that I could do something this time.

Good luck. You are not alone. Hopefully we can help find a solution for you.

I vote bigger flanges as well. I had the same problem. I used the 24 mm that came with the pump and I definitely needed bigger. So, now I'm fitting perfectly in size 30 mm. Also, to cut down on friction, I rub olive oil in the flanges before I pump & on my nipples. HTH!

I agree with the PP that it may be the flanges that are the wrong size. However, too big or small...Both! I hate to say it but I bought bigger and found it helped one breast but had to buy smaller for the other. A

lso, my breast pump differently. Do you have different speeds or suction powers on your pump? My right side likes it slow and strong and the left likes it faster and less suction power. I pump both on the left side setting and then when the left it done I disconnect it and change the settings for the right to continue pumping. It takes longer but it the only thing that works.

I wish you the best of luck. I know your pain!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Another suggestions is to get the silicone areola stimulators that go with you pump. Avent Isis has them and the Ameda Purly Yours has them. They fit into the flange and makes a massaging motion on the areola to help milk come down faster and way more comfortably...I don't think I could pump without them

have you tried hand expresson? some mothers have good luck with that when the pump isn't working for them.
    cracks sometimes take a while to heal!
    it sounds like you are doing the right things the apno.
    Is the baby home from the hospital?
    that will make things alot easier!

Hi There,
    THanks for all the support. Well... I have the areola stimulator thing... and with that in, the nipples don't fit AT ALL inside the barrels. The big size flange is TOO big (pulls in breast tissue since i have no areola) and the small size is TOO small.

I'm going to try the olive oil thing though... that might help a bit. I see the LC again next Tuesday and we're going to keep trying to latch baby on... less bother and hopefully less pain!!