Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: contemplating throwing in the towel!

Default contemplating throwing in the towel!

I know I know, I am just so overwhelmed at this point. My baby who is 11 weeks will only bf for five min on one breast and then is done. She seems to get aggravated at the slowing of the breast after letdown. My letdowns have gotten so bad as in 10-15 seconds of just streaming fast flow milk that my baby gags on. Eating unforunately is associated with a struggle for her. She doesn't kick her legs with excitement to eat. I feel like my strong desire to breastfeed is leaning towards the end of selfishness as Im not sure if she is eating enough. she eats every 2/3 hours during night. But lately during the day she has spaced out to 4-5 hours, and again really quick feeds. She often spits up if I try and feed her upon awaking in the am. So every-morning for the past few days she has awakened around 7 , doesn't want to eat, then plays for a hours or so then sleeps. Then she may eat at 1030ish and not eat again until 3:00. I dont want to force the breast on her. My concern is is that she is hungry but wants nothing to do with the stress of my breast. I have tried everything i dont know what else to do. I have heard that if the input output is good dont worry. It is good, plenty of wets and two poops a day. I just feel like she is not eating enough. She also wont eat anywhere else but lying down on our bed, I cant seem to get a good feed out of her outside of the home environment. I want to go home and visit but i feel its important to have a well established consistent eating routine where I know my baby isn't starving. I guess what Im saying is if she was getting long feeds where I felt like she was getting enough the five our spacing wouldn't bother me so much. My local leader suggested a nipple shield and hasnt had the time to return my calls. I tried the nipple sheild but she doesnt like it . return my calls....I am at the end of my rope and I am feeling upset about it. thanks for letting me vent.
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

Default Re: contemplating throwing in the towel!

Try to hang in their. It sounds like you may have an over active let down if she is gagging. I had one too and I would be drenched after a feeding. This should correct itself in time. My son also would eat for less than 5 min on one side at a time, however, he did eat about every two hours. How is her weight? My ped said that as long as he was gaining weight, she wasn't concerned with how long or often he ate.

Do you pump? If you are truely worried, you can supplement with ebm between nursing. She's old enough that nipple confusion should not be a problem.

Don't give up and good luck.

she is 14lbs, gaining well, 8 10 at birth. I thought she may start to loose as this is the most recent pattern. I had a symphony medela pump but just returned it, thinking I was out of the woods, I do have a isis avent pump I could use. however what got me here initally was nipple confusion and I thought that was why she would only take the breast for a few minutes. I am so confused. I think I may try and call the leader again. ugggg. thanks for your help!

Does this maybe sound like what is happening? http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html It really isn't unusual for some babies to get what they need very quickly. (Mine was like that.) You might take her in for a weight check to ease the thought in your mind that she isn't getting enough. Since she is nursing every 2-3 hours at night, how many total feeds is she getting in a day? She very easily could be consuming the majority of her calories at night. Sometimes with OALD they have less trouble with it at night. I know this feels like a rough spot, but you can get worked through it!

my son does the same thing (kinda) he doesn't eat every two hours at night but his feedings are more spread out then I would have figured! he does spit up often and he's never on the breast long! I believe as long as he goes ok and his weight gain is good then I don't worry! (i did for a long time... drove myself crazy!) I too have OALD! don't worry mama sounds like ur doing a wonderful job! do u co sleep? o find that when my LO has frquent night feedings that's the easiest way to handle it! keep up the good work and congrats on ur success!

Sounds a lot like overactive let down. How often are you switching sides? I stopped switching sides with every feed and only switched sides every 4 hours. That cleared things up for me. But at 11 weeks, babies can get rather confusing and irritable anyway. Someone once told me it's a time of rapid brain growth. Are things really hard from 7-9pm? If she is wetting her diapers, she's getting the milk she needs. Follow her lead. Let her get on and off. And be as calm as possible when you feed her. She'll sense if you are anxious. Perhaps that's why she nurses better laying down with you? Just guessing here.

so far so good with the wets, thanks for all the advice here. Definitely going to keep to one side for feeds. I read the oald milk thing and have all of those symptoms. THANKS SO MUCH.

My Baby Is The Same Way! She Is 9 Weeks Today And She Feeds For 5mins Or Less On 1 Breast And She Is Done!! She Will Sleep For Like 3 Hrs And Feed Again For Like 5 Mins. I Was Worried But Because She Wets Lots Of Diapers And Has Los Of Bm I Just Guessed She Was Ok. She Is Also Gaining Weight (she Wears Size 6m). So I Guess Is Normal.

KayKate I too have been feeling like this. Jack has been irritable the last few days. He seems hungry, feeds for a few minutes then pulls off and screams if I try to put him back on. He has also been waking more in the night the last couple of nights, just when he had started to do longer stretches. But I figure that he must be getting enough or he'd be screaming for more. We did battle with OALD and OS and I thought we had won, but these babbas seem to keep springing surprises on us.
    Hope you make it through. Hopefully this is just a phase and we'll have happier babies (and be happier mums) again very soon.
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!

It's so very frustrating- my dd also is a fast eater- 5 min. on one side. It kills me. She is 8 weeks born 7lbs 12oz an at yesterda's dr. visit she was up to 10lbs 7oz.

I was hoping she would be heavier, bu the dr sid she was fine- on the low end of weiht- but she was doing great. He also said that the 5 min feeds were fine as long as dd made up for it at other feeds . It sounds like your lo makes up for it at night. My dd has maybe 2 feeds that go for about 8-9 min so I guess that's her way of making up for it.

very very confusing- I guess as long as they are thriving and happy -all is well.

Lauren