Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Tongue

Default Milk Tongue

My LO(1 month today) has had a white tongue for at least two weeks. Two pediatricians have told us that it is not Thrush but a milk tongue, however a lactation consultant told me she thought it was thrush. I am so paranoid, I've been checking his mouth everyday for the white patches on his cheeks and gums but nothing yet, just the white tongue. I have pink and sore nipples that are white on the tips when he pulls off but I have no idea if it is Thrush or just a poor latch (we are still working on it). I am not feeling any shooting pains. I finally got so tired of worrying about it that I am just treating both of us for thrush. Has anyone ever heard of milk tongue? Am I doing the right thing by treating us? Thanks!

Default Re: Milk Tongue

if you start fealing beter you'll know what your doing is helping.
    are you cracked?
    have you seen this info for cracks?
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html

My DS had milk tongue as well - that ended up being Thrush - I noticed on the inside of his lips small white marks - and that is when I went to the Ped. The patches on the inside of his cheeks actually came the day after I decided to go to the doctor so I am glad I did =)

Quote Originally Posted by sahahn1 View Post
    My LO(1 month today) has had a white tongue for at least two weeks. Two pediatricians have told us that it is not Thrush but a milk tongue, however a lactation consultant told me she thought it was thrush. I am so paranoid, I've been checking his mouth everyday for the white patches on his cheeks and gums but nothing yet, just the white tongue. I have pink and sore nipples that are white on the tips when he pulls off but I have no idea if it is Thrush or just a poor latch (we are still working on it). I am not feeling any shooting pains. I finally got so tired of worrying about it that I am just treating both of us for thrush. Has anyone ever heard of milk tongue? Am I doing the right thing by treating us? Thanks!
    Hi there!

Yes, I have heard many people suggests that "milk tongue" is normal.

I have also known many experienced (and well-known) lacatation consultants who suggest that a coated white tongue is not normal in an infant, or an adult for that matter. They do make a good point. Because I would not want to function on a daily basis with a white coating of *something* on my tongue!

It sounds like you are going with your gut feeling that something is not right, and treating it accordingly. Sounds good to me!

I hope your sore nipples clear up soon! (Ouch!)

Keep us posted.

My LO has had the white tongue pretty much since birth. Once in a while it goes away and she has a little pink tongue again, but mostly I don't worry about it. The first two weeks I was super paranoid because I had itchy sore boobs, and Abby had a white patch on the roof of her mouth, so I took her to the ped and was told that the patch was something common in infants that eventually goes away (cant remember the name, I think it had something to do with the word "pearl" ) but, it wasn't thrush.

Anyway, so as not to make this post any longer, my LO always has a white tongue, and I haven't had any other problems so...I suppose milk tongue it is.

In your case though, it definitley sounds like something you should keep a close eye on.

Well after being on Nysatin for 3 days - DS's milk tongue is gone... so in my case it was Thrush! Always follow those mommy instincts =)

and Abby had a white patch on the roof of her mouth, so I took her to the ped and was told that the patch was something common in infants that eventually goes away (cant remember the name, I think it had something to do with the word "pearl" ) but, it wasn't thrush.

I think you are referring to "epstein's pearls." Sometimes, they even look like teeth!!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

Quote Originally Posted by betsyd8 View Post

I think you are referring to "epstein's pearls." Sometimes, they even look like teeth!!

yep! thats the name! I knew it started with an E. Thanks! I wont be forgetting now!