Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: constipated?? please help!!

Default constipated?? please help!!

my son is going to be 7wks on tuesday (already) he has NEVER pooped a lot (3x daily) infact sometimes he would not go in a few days! but he pees a lot and his sorry this is alittle long but I thought some background was needed! weight gain is great so the doc said don't worry... he did level out and started going once a day or one everyother day... I was actually happy to see him going more... HOWEVER he is back to skipping a few days again I ask the dr and they said if I get worried put vasaline on a themometer or qtip and that will help! and everythree days I do that if he doesn't go and it helps BUT his poop is thick and sticky! what can that mean? the sticky part really throws me... any sugg?
    thank u!

Default Re: constipated?? please help!!

p.s. he seems to be fusy a lot!!! and he wants to nurse sooo much! he falls asleep on me but if I tae him off and lay him down he is awake and screaming within 10mins! please help I'm losing it! am I doing something wrong? he started nursing more at exactly 6wks (growth spurt assumed) and then I had to give him his one and only bottle of formula (thursday was one week since his bottle... after the bottle was when his poop got all mixed up! I know this thread is long but I need so much help and quick! his crankyness is making me an emotional mess!

Here is a quote from the following site which you may want to look at:
    http://www.umc-cares.org/health_info...&ArticleID=166

"In fact, at 3-6 weeks of age, breast-fed babies may only have one stool a week. This is because breast milk leaves very little waste in the intestines to be passed. Again, if the stool, when passed, is not hard, this is completely normal. In general, it is almost impossible for strictly breast-fed babies to become constipated."

So your baby may not be constipated. My baby went 7 days without a bowel movement at one point. However, if your baby's stools do seem hard, then it may be consistipation (although you said thick and sticky and not hard). The bowel movements will change as a baby ages, so this may be normal. My doctor had mentioned the thermometer thing too, but had cautioned that you do not want to do this too frequently because you want the baby to be able to go on his own without assistance. If the stools do seem hard, then you may want to try a little diluted apple or prune juice. This usually helps pass a bowel movement. As for the crying, he probably is cluster feeding or having a growth spurt. Hang in there, it does get easier. If you think the fussiness is caused by gas, you may try some mylicon drops. We used these, but I am not for sure how well these work.

kellymom.com is another good site to check out for many BF related issues.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

I agree with the PP. Doesn't sound like your baby is constipated at all. In fact, many babies fuss when passing stool. It's totally normal. 6 weeks or so is also the peak fussy time for babies. They can cry a lot at that age.

I'd skip any interventions with the "constipation" unless you truly see hard and dry stools. Instead, keep nursing on demand, and that'll keep your baby satisfied, as well as assure your milk supply.

Have you tried swaddling your baby? That can really help a young baby feel secure, even when they've been put down. Another thing you could try is to wear your baby in a sling, which would keep baby close to you, but would free up your arms so you could do a few things.

Hang in there!

thank u both for your help! it means so much to get support from other moms!.... Lainey's Mom that link helped out a lot along with ur similar experence! thanks again