Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too much milk and can't donate

Default Too much milk and can't donate

I just don't have the time and energy to donate -- I looked at the requirements and it's just too much for me to try to manage.

So I need to lower my supply, but I don't want to ruin it or later on.

Here's the deal:

My little one is starting her 9th week (born 5/24/07). She eats 4 oz of EBM about every 3-4 hours, so she feeds approx. 8 times in a 24 hour period for a total of 32 oz of milk.

I pump 7 times. 8 am, 11:30 am, 2:30 pm, 5:30 pm, 9 pm, 12 midnight, 4 am.

I usually pump around 6-8 oz in a session for a grand total of 42-56 oz. In about a month I've stashed away over 2 gallons in the freezer, and I have 5 16 oz bottles in the fridge full (one that gets emptied for feedings, but you get what I mean).

I'd like to get myself regulated so that I only pump what she needs -- 2 oz per breast instead of the 3+. But as young as she is if I do this through block pumping or dropping a pumping session, will this affect my ability to keep up with her later on? I'm an exclusive pumper because despite my trying she just won't latch. At best she just licks my boob, but normally she screams bloody murder.

Please help me. My freezer is nearly full and I'm going to have to start dumping my milk. Ideally I'd like to get rid of the 4am pumping -- not having to be up for an hour to pump, store, and clean things would be a godsend.

Default Re: Too much milk and can't donate

Though now that I think on it... would it be better to supply too much and have to dump, then to try to regulate myself and not have enough? I do want to be able to add to my freezer supply when the current gets used / has to be dumped because it's out of date..

I'm so lost.

maybe there is a local person that would pick it up

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/MilkShare/

first, I would like to say that i think its amazing that you are able to pump so well!!
    Here is what I have been told-
    Say you stop pumping at 4 a.m. you will be full at that time for a few days or a week. But your body will learn not to produce as much at that time. If you keep pumping regularly at the other times you said you do, you should have no problem with your supply. Your body will regulate to the new schedule. It would be just like if you were nursing and all of a sudden your child started to sleep through the night. YOur body would produce on supply and demand basis-if your LO is no longer nursing at night your body would stop producing as much. so i would assume it would work that way for pumping moms.
    I hope that gives you an idea at least. But I wouldnt worry about your supply if you stop your 4 a.m. session. your body will regulate itself in time!!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

And if I decide that I'm not making enough and add another session back... in theory, my body would eventually pick up the queue and start producing more, yes?

Yes. Just like when LOs have growth spurts and nurse like crazy for a while. Your body makes more during this time. It's all regulated by how much milk is removed from the breasts. Just remember there's a 3-4 day period before your body will be regulated to making more/less. Also, I've heard some places will let you make a one-time milk donation. What if you donated most of what you have now, then pumped yourself a "fresh" supply? Just a thought.

From what I've read, they don't like to get the milk in the milk bags, because they're messy and they can't always get all the fat re-integrated in the milk (something I've noticed myself when thawing some of my stash on the few occasions I've had to do so)

Just a note of encouragement. Keep offering your breast. You might try a nipple shield. Your story is exactly like my situation. Exactly.
    My baby is 3 months old. She would not latch, screams at breast, licks if in a good mood, so I exclusively pump. Usually get about 60-65 oz perday pumping every 4 hours. I tried a shield a few weeks ago, and she latched! She didn't latch even with the shield when she was brand new. It's been a process of two steps forward, one step back, but there has been progress! This weekend I NIP for the first time at my sister's wedding. It was glorious! I hope to scrap the shield in a few weeks, and then be all natural. It's been tricky trying to balance nursing and pumping, doing more and more nursing. But today is my first attempt to only nurse all day. I actually got to sleep in with her and nap nursed 6am-9am! I'm block feeding starting today to decrease my supply.
    I tried this last week when I was still mostly pumping and it seemed to work pretty well. Pump every other breast at 4 hour intervals. Empty them both at 6am, pump left breast at 10am, right at 2pm, left at 6pm, etc. It will be pretty uncomfortable in the unpumped breast, but tolerable. Pump a tiny bit for comfort if you have to. You should see some improvement in even one day. I only did this one 24 hour period, partly as an experiment, and also because I had to go out of town and didn't want the distraction. After I went back to pumping normally, I noticed a significant decline in my production. I pumped 48 oz in a day, instead of the usually 60-65 oz. It slowly came back up and now I can pump 60 again, but I only block pumped for 1 day. You would probably have to do it for 2-3 days to get a better result.
    Hope this helps.

When I started I started with a nipple shield and she would latch. I've since lost it and don't know where to get one.

She would nurse for an hour or more (which in the beginning, was hard for me to keep up with, sleep wise) and still not seem content. She'd be fussy and unhappy, and wouldn't sleep. I was also concerned I'd lose my supply (what little I had at then) as I read that using a nipple shield could do this.

So I started pumping exclusively because she seemed more content after a 2 oz bottle feeding than a 1 hour nursing session. Maybe now that I make so much milk this would change, who knows. As much as I hate to dump milk, it's not so bad because I know I have more than enough for her. It's just that I know there are babies who need it -- but since I can't commit to the regulations for donating -- daily showers, hand expressing 1/4 teaspoon full from each breast before pumping, etc -- I have no other choice.

I don't feel comfortable giving milk to someone -- I'm a healthy woman, so it's not that. It's just that if I were a mom, I'd be concerned enough about getting donated milk from a milk bank where they take every step they can to prevent you from getting diseased milk. The only way I'd feel comfortable informally sharing my milk is with family, and right now, I'm the only one with a baby.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

If you don't have a store in your area, look here:
    http://breakoutbras.stores.yahoo.net/connipshielf.html

You don't have to worry about your supply with it now.