Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: (Re)Introducing a paci?

Default (Re)Introducing a paci?

So over the past year there have been times when K would not nurse right to sleep, but would instead need to comfort nurse for up to 40 min or an hour before she would finally drift off. Tonight was one of those nights and I had an idea that I'd like to get some input/advice on.

I don't mind the time spent or the idea of the loooong nursing at bedtime, especially since that is an anomaly. The problem is that it can be extremely uncomfortable and sometimes even painful.

I don't know if she'd even take it, but I thought of maybe trying to find a paci that works for her for those times. I'm sure it's a long shot getting a 15 month old to even entertain the idea of a paci, but has anyone had any success with this? Do you have any advice of any sort?

TIA, ladies!

ETA: Kesiah hasn't had a paci since she was 4 months old...this is why I'm wondering if she'll even take one.
    Last edited by @llli*evin; July 22nd, 2007 at 12:33 AM.

Default Re: (Re)Introducing a paci?

Shiloh lived with one the first three months, found his fingers, and never too one again. BUT, every once in a while when he is very fussy from teething, I will give him one and he thinks its the coolest thing. I leave one in the crib with him....I've NEVER seen him actually use it...but he knows its there if he wants it. His fingers usually do the trick.

I would think its ok to try. But I'm all for trying what works at the moment.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

My 2 cents is as follows. As a mom that had to take/wean kids from the paci - I wouldn't start one on it at this age. SHe may just love it then you have a whole new world of problems!!!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

This is exactly why I'm wondering if I should do it...but it would only be for bedtime in the rare occasion of the interminable nursing. I'm so conflicted! Worry about paci-weaning later or be less in pain & antsy now? I'm leaning toward the here and now, I think.

here an now is always good, too
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Evin, I think I agree with you, I understand your hesitancy but just like co-sleeping for me... sometimes we make decisions based on what will get us through today. We had to co-sleep or I was going to lose my mind.

Do any of her buddies use one? Emily never had one, not evenwhen she was teeny but a copuple of her buds do and she knows what they're all about. I am sure if I gave her one she'd be stoked, because her pals have one, kwim?
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

I gave almost 12 mo DS his pacifier back recently to teeth on. He never really took it in the first place--to comfort suck on. Now he chews on it, but often is gumming it backwards, etc. He likes it, though, and since those little Soothies were expensive, I don't mind.

Never had to use one with K as it would be across the room. Now she chews it every once in a while when a teeth is about to come through. Totally understand about the here and now though. You could try her and see if she takes it, if she doesn't you have your answer.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

As the mother of a child who is dependent on a paci to fall asleep, I wouldn't introduce one, and don't plan to, with the next. However...

I may change that tune when he gets here! I would never have introduced one to dd if it weren't for the nurse at the hospital the night we had her. Of course, I say that, and then she was super high needs, and I may have introduced it anyway, right?

Around 4 months we started introducing the rule that the paci was for the car or for bedtime. She is actually very good at putting it on her dresser when she wakes up, and putting it on her carseat when she gets out of the car. There were times from 4 months to 9 months where she had the paci other than those times, but she nearly weaned from it except at sleepy time. She won't even really take it other times, unless she isn't feeling well, and then sometimes I let her sit in my lap and suck it. I just don't let her run around with it. I think that as a parent who is willing to set boundaries and stick with them, you would be fine to introduce it for sleeping time only. Most people don't even know she has one, and I am okay with her keeping it and using it for that purpose until she decided she doesn't need it anymore.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Connor took one the first few weeks. He found some newborn sized ones in his toy box at Nana's and seemed to like chewing on them, so I got him some in the right size the other day. He started putting them in his mouth this week, but still doesn't suck on them. I'm not trying to make him use it, just thought maybe he'd like it while teething. He'll be one next month.

No advice, just thought I'd share!
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin