Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: root canal -- medication with nursing?

Default Re: root canal -- medication with nursing?

I've never had any problems with anesthesia that I know if -- although I admit it has been an awful long time since I've had any dental work. My tooth isn't inflamed yet (although he said it might be on the verge of becoming inflamed) and I didn't feel especially nervous -- just the normal sort of nerves you'd expect before this kind of thing. He said that sometimes they need to give people Valium to relax them so the anesthesia will take . Hopefully it won't come to that, but I guess I'd better go look that up for compatibility with nursing. Anyone know anything about Valium and breastfeeding? Or maybe I'll just work on that yoga breathing.

Also -- when I bought the probiotics at the health food store, the guy there said to wait 90 minutes after taking the antibiotics to take the probiotics. Is this so that the probiotics don't interfere with the infection-fighting properties of the antibiotics? Anyone know if and why this is important?
    Annie
    Mama to Jeremy Daniel (12/10/2005)

I'm a late cloth convert...and you? :tumbsup

Quote Originally Posted by Evin View Post
    What a timely thread...I have to have a wisdom tooth removed...ugh...Now at least I'll be more armed for any battles over painkillers!

What an ordeal! Poor Annie!
    ITA! I have to go to the dentist too. I haven't been in years... I'm ready to go, but REALLY nervous. I know I have two wisdom teeth that they'll probably want to pull... and since they're already in there I'm sure they'll want to do the others. I'm scared!!

Thanks for posting this, now I too am armed with good info.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Quote Originally Posted by annie View Post
    Also -- when I bought the probiotics at the health food store, the guy there said to wait 90 minutes after taking the antibiotics to take the probiotics. Is this so that the probiotics don't interfere with the infection-fighting properties of the antibiotics? Anyone know if and why this is important?
    I think that's the gist of it. I was given the same advice. I think it's actually more so the opposite now that I think about it-so that the antibiotics don't kill off the probiotics before they can do any good.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Oh, that makes sense!
    Annie

Just thought I'd let people know that I had a successful root canal treatment today!!!! The endodontist let me relax and do breathing exercises for five minutes before getting started, which was a relief since we had a hectic time getting over there as the babysitter is at the beach and we were juggling DS and kept forgetting and losing things. My heart was still thumping as he put the needles in, but I kept trying to breathe and this time the anesthesia "took." The root canal itself wasn't bad at all, although now my tooth is a bit achy and I'm trying to resist taking too much motrin or any of the tylenol w/codeine that the dentist prescribed. Anyway, thanks for all of your support and advice, and good luck to those of you facing dental work! Just go in armed with Dr. Hale and don't mention LLL when discussing meds . And keep in mind that doctors respect other doctors even when those doctors know nothing about the issue in question. Hopefully more info on nursing will get out there soon and others won't need to go through this unnecessary stress.
    Annie

I was almost scared to check your newest post on this thread, Annie!! But I'm so glad to hear that everything went okay and I hope the pain subsides quickly.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thanks Molly! By the way, the probiotics are great -- I've noted some other improvements in my general bodily functioning as well (ahem! )
    Annie

Quote Originally Posted by annie View Post
    Thanks Molly! By the way, the probiotics are great -- I've noted some other improvements in my general bodily functioning as well (ahem! )
    Good! I've got to get back to taking mine as well.

Molly

Yeah, especially during pregnancy I imagine it might be useful.
    Annie

I didn't see any of your other recent posts until today, so wanted to say I'm glad the procedure went well and its behind you! Just as a side note, the problem with the anesthesia "not taking" is actually not too uncommon (my DH is a dentist). There is a limit to the amount they can safely give you at once, I think, so if it isn't working they sometimes send you home and try again another day.

As for the Valium, just for future reference, if I remember correctly its an L3. That's one of the one's they were going to give me when I had my wisdom teeth out, but my ped recommended an alternative that would be better. I think one of the concerns about it was that it tends to hang around in your system longer than some other drugs. This is all just from my memory though, so you'd definitely want someone to look up current info.

Again, glad everything went well!