Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: root canal -- medication with nursing?

Default root canal -- medication with nursing?

So I finally made it to the dentist after an embarrassingly long time and it turns out that not only do I have several cavities, but I also need a root canal . I'm going next Wednesday. I asked about medication, and she said that they'll give me "standard dental anesthesia" as well as some kind of antibiotic and pain medication. As possibilities she mentioned she mentioned keflex (sp?) and zithromax. For pain, she said maybe motrin or vicodin. So what here is safe to take while nursing? Or will I have to pump and dump? I definitely don't want to wean yet, and I know DS will miss his night nursings if I have to put him off.

When I went in for a simple filling, the dentist said that novocain is okay while nursing but they held back on the epenephrine as a precaution. I took his word for it, not having done the research ahead of time. This time I'd like to be more prepared especially if I have to ask them to substitute medications. Thanks for any help you can give.
    Annie
    Mama to Jeremy Daniel (12/10/2005)

I'm a late cloth convert...and you? :tumbsup

Default Re: root canal -- medication with nursing?

http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/dentalwork.html

maybe something here will help.

here a link to dr hales it talks about keflex
    http://66.230.33.248/discus/messages/40/1930.html

Thanks, Andrea for the links. From what I can find, I should be okay to keep nursing. Dental anesthesia seems to be okay, especially if I skip the naptime nursing session right after the root canal procedure. Both antibiotics also appear to be fine. Does anyone have experience taking antibiotics while nursing? Dr Hales mentioned the there's a slight risk of yeast infection with Zithromax, but otherwise it should be okay. Should I ask them to minimize the antibiotics? Or is it more important for me to avoid infection?

Looks like motrin is a better choice for pain relief than Vicodin, which hasn't been researched and is in the L3 category. Let me know your experiences -- this is my first root canal and I'm very nervous.
    Annie

I'm so irritated. So I went for my root canal yesterday morning, after verifying from Dr. Hales's and Kellymom's websites that the medication I would be given should be fine, and also calling my pediatrician who referred me to the lactation office at our major regional hospital (since the doctors and NPs at the ped practice weren't sure what anesthesia/antibiotics would be okay to take while breastfeeding). I couldn't get through to the lactation office before the appointment (my fault, since I waited until the last minute), so I told the dentist that I had researched what was okay and that I would call the hospital lactation office again if they wanted to verify. Well, understandably they were annoyed that I hadn't done this ahead of time. So the doctor called the hospital lactation office and got an answering machine that among other things, said that their local breastfeeding "support group" met twice a month. At this point, I was summoned to the receptionist who told me that the dentist had to talk to medical professionals (either a doctor or NP) and not "some support group" (said scornfully), and they sent me home to get my pediatrician to call the dentist (the same pediatrician that had recommended to hospital lactation office). I was annoyed, but understood where they were coming from, in terms of concerns about safety.

Later in the day, I called the lactation office, and the woman said she had had a long conversation with my dentist detailing the kinds of medications that were acceptable. Good, I thought, it's all settled. But when I called the dentist this morning to reschedule the appointment, the receptionist said no, "didnt you understand our conversation yesterday?" -- that the conversation with the consultant wasn't acceptable and it needed to be a pediatrician. I tried to tell her that my pediatrician's office had recommended this lactation office, since they didn't know what medications were okay and the lactation consultant was up on the most current research -- to no avail. Then she said,"This is the health of your baby we're talking about." Like I didn't know that. In that indignant, preachy tone of voice. I snapped something about how "I know it's the health of my baby" and said I would work on it and hung up. Then I'm afraid I was a basket case for about an hour. That comment about "your baby" really seemed to hit me hard when I felt like I was doing the best I could.

So when I finally pulled myself together I called my pediatrician's office back, and they once again tried to redirect me to the hospital lactation office. I told them that no, the dentist was insisting on talking to a doctor. So they called the dentist, and whatever they said (I'm sure no different than the hospital consultant) it seemed to do the trick. I feel a bit ashamed that I got so worked up over this, since I know they were just concerned about safety and part of it was my fault for not calling earlier. But I guess I was annoyed at 1) the tone of scorn that they directed at a nonmedical (but very knowledgeable) "support group" -- connected to a major hospital which is know for being very cautious, even overly medicalized, when it comes to childbirth and childcare issues; and 2) the implicit critique that I was a bad mother for not caring what medications were transmitted to my child.

Sorry, I'm just venting. This turned into a long post. I have a new appointment (a pain in the neck since it means rescheduling childcare and transportation as well). But I just needed to get this off my chest. Anyone have a similar experience?
    Last edited by annie; July 26th, 2007 at 10:47 AM.
    Annie

Wow. Wow. They wanted to talk to a real health care professional huh? Someone who would know all about what medications were safe for breastfeeding, like a FREAKIN PEDIATRICIAN?!! Yeah right!
    More than anything, this shouldn't be such a rarity that they have no clue and you have to do all the legwork. Pathetic.
    You clearly care about your baby's health. That receptionist sounds like a first class ******.
    FWIW I took zithromax while bfing DD and it was fine. The risk of yeast infection is increased with all antibiotics, so you should buy a probiotic supplement to take while you are taking the antibiotic. The refrigerated kind of best quality (most live cultures).
    HTH

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thanks, Molly, I think I needed that hug. Also the recommendation for probiotics is great, I'll definitely do that.

You know, to make things worse, I also mentioned LLL (I think I said I researched it here) and the dentist had never heard of it -- he asked if there were doctors and nurses involved, and was clearly unimpressed that it was a breastfeeding support group. Maybe that was my big mistake. Has anyone discovered that it's a big no-no to mention LLL to doctors? I know he was just trying to be cautious (and he did impress my pediatrician's office with how careful and detailed he was), and overall I like him very much. He even acknowledged that most doctors don't have info on breastfeeding. I think it was the interaction with the receptionist that really ticked me off.
    Annie

How distressing! You really had to go back and forth between a lot of people -- and then you needed to make another appointment on top of it all! Very frustrating!
    LLL Leaders aren't able to tell mothers which medications are safe or not. We can, however point mothers to published information about medications. This information usually comes from tables published by the American Academy of Pediatrics or Dr. Thomas Hale's book, Medications and Mothers' Milk. LLL has a Health Advisory Council and the information it provides is research-based.
    That said, the information is sometimes better received when it comes straight from the source, i.e. quoting the AAP or Thomas Hale, versus "LLL says xyz".
    This article here goes over some of the basics such as the questions to consider when trying to reach a decision about medications and what your options are.
    Is there still more information that you need or did it all eventually get sorted out? Let us know.

Mary

Thanks Mary, I think the dentist was satisfied with information he got (from either my pediatrician and/or the lactation consultant), which was also compatible with the info I found on Dr. Hale's website.

I know that LLL can't give medical advice and I regret that I mentioned LLL to the dentist - especially because I didn't actually get my info here, but rather from Dr. Hale's site (I just went through here to get it). I think it made the doctor more skeptical of the info from the hospital lactation consultant. I was just a little flustered and frustrated at the time and wanted to show that I had looked into it. It was poor thinking on my part, I won't do it again.
    Last edited by annie; July 26th, 2007 at 02:59 PM.
    Annie

Oh gosh, Annie, I didn't mean to imply that any of this was your fault because of the way you said something! You had done all your research in advance of the appointment. This information is readily available to ALL medical professionals. It's unfortunate that your dentist was so skeptical of the science-based information that's out there to help breastfeeding mothers negotiate situations such as these.
    Of course you were flustered by what the receptionist was saying and how she was saying it. Her tone wasn't helpful at all during an already stressful situation!
    On the plus side, maybe your experience will help them see another side. Maybe the next breastfeeding mother won't get such a run-around? (We can hope, at least!)
    Hang in there! I hope the procedure goes well.
    Mary

Yes, let's hope that they learned something from this exchange and the next nursing mother has an easier time. It is a little pathetic that I had to do all of this legwork. They gotta get more of this information into circulation. You know, after this experience the root canal itself will be a breeze.

Molly -- I checked at the health food store today and all the refrigerated probiotics are in capsule form -- is this the kind you're talking about? Is there a particular brand that's better than the others? And should I start taking it in advance or wait until I have the procedure? Not that you're an expert or anything -- just don't make me go making any more phone calls...
    Annie