Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: plugged duct?

Question plugged duct?

my breast has been feeling bruised,very sore and it hurts when i nurse..it seems less tender after i nurse..can this be a plugged duct..?when will it go away?

Default Re: plugged duct?

Does it feel like you have a lump in your breast? That's usually the first sign of a plugged duct.

Take a warm washcloth and place it on your breast for a few minutes before you nurse, and nurse on that side first until the duct becomes unblocked. You'll know it's unplugged because you won't feel a lump anymore.

If you start to feel awful, like you have the flu, you might want to contact your doctor.

I had one of those... and they can lead to mastitis. What worked for me - was hot showers - lots and lots of fluid rest and a nurse in.

I pretty much stayed in bed all day with lots of fluids my LO and nursed him as much as he would all day. IT actually worked for me =) Since I dont have insurance - I didnt want to have to end up getting prescriptions. Might wanna try it and see if it helps any

I find that pressure massage and manual expression work wonders in addition to warm showers and frequent nursing (Or pumping if you're a pumper).

If it's a clogged duct / nipple pore and it frees when you pump / express, you'll know -- you'll have a stream of milk that won't stop (unless compress your breast / etc) for anywhere from a minute to more depending on how long the clog existed and how much milk backed up.

I've had clogged ducts where once I cleared the clog, I got 3+ oz out of the stream!

If you start to feel awful, like you have the flu, you might want to contact your doctor.[/QUOTE]

im starting like that right now.what do u think is wrong

That's a sign of infection, usually mastitis, if I'm not wrong. You should definitely see your doc as soon as you can if you're feeling flu-like.

Something else you can do for clogged ducts - put uncooked rice into a ziploc bag- put it in the microwave for 1 minute and then wrap it in a towel and put it on your breast! It stays warmer than a wet hot towel and it works great! You can even stick it in your bra 15 min prior to feeding.

I get recurring clogged ducts b/c of my thrush, if you notice it recurring often, try lecithin 3 times a day 1200 mg.

Hope this helps and hope you feel better! And most of all I hope it's not mastitis!

I've had a few clogged ducts and found that warm compresses (closer to hot than cold) and that really massaging the lump work well at breaking it up. It's always quite uncomfortable (ok, painful may be a better word) to massage it but I try to get underneath it as best I can and really apply counterpressure (if that's possible, depending on the location of it! !!). It usually takes quite a few rounds of heat, massage, heat, massage... but it really helps me... and I can get rid of the clog in about 12-24 hours. HTH!

I agree with becki on the warm compress issue. I've had several clogged ducts (they can really hurt) and I've found that using a Castor Oil Compress helps to quickly ease the inflammation so massaging and nursing can help break the clog. Btw, you may hear a loud popping noise coming out of baby's mouth when the clog breaks. (the area can still be sore for a day or two after clearing.)
    Directions for Castor Oil Compress:
    You will need the following:
    3 layers of cotton flannel (cut large enough to cover the inflamed area)- I just got some at the fabric store; Castor Oil; plastic wrap or plastic bag 1-2" larger than the pieces of flannel; 1 hot water bottle; small ziploc bag or container w/ lid; water & baking soda
    Place flannel in container and soak with Castor Oil until saturated, but not dripping; place flannel on inflamed area of breast; cover with plastic wrap or bag; layer with filled hot water bottle & then rest for 30-60 minutes; remove and gently cleanse area with water and baking soda to remove residue. This compress can be stored in container or baggie in fridge until next use (good for 25-30 times.) **Be sure you're wearing an old shirt b/c the oil can stain fabric**

Plugged ducts hurt so bad The only thing that helped for was nursing or pumping at max level. Even after the lumps are gone, you may feel sore for 2-3 days.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com