Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm kind of lost...

Question I'm kind of lost...

My LO is almost 4 weeks and I thought we were doing so good. We had a not-so-good start when he was born 2 weeks earlier and with a bit of bili and weight loss (from 7.0 lbs at birth to 6.9 lbs the next day). I had to supplement with a couple of bottles b/c he wasn't latching on correctly. My nipples got soooo sore and even bleed, it was horrible, I cried every single time he nursed for the first 10 days or so. Now, we're doing much better, my nipples have healed and I think we both learned how to latch :) He gained 8 oz the second week!!! :)

But since yesterday, he's only nursing for 5 or 6 minutes and on one side only! Before he would nurse for 10 minutes on one, and maybe 4 or 5 more on the other (sometimes); and every hour and a half during the day, and every 3 hrs at night. I have very big boobs (38 DD) if that has something to do with it...
    Is this something that -also- shall pass??

Thanks everybody!!!

Default Re: I'm kind of lost...

Congrats with sticking with it!! You're awesome

About the time nursing on each side: as babies get older they get more efficient at sucking and may require less time at each breast because of it. If he is still eating on the same schedule (every 1 1/2 hours during the day, 3 hours at night) then it would be safe to assume he's just eating quicker. Is he acting content after nursing? If so, I'm sure he has a full belly. Most newborns require more time to eat because they're still learning how to nurse. That's awesome he's caught on eating quicker though Keep an eye on wet and poopy diapers (6-8 a day) and if those stay consistent, I'm sure your little guy is just fine! More experienced moms will come by with even better advice I'm sure. Just keep it up!

We haven't had any problems with latching on, but your question about the drop in nursing time, my LO did the same thing, the first few days, she would nurse for about 20 minutes, and then she dropped down to like around 5 minutes on one side. I had also posted a question about the drop in nursing time, and the other experienced moms on this forum told me that she is just probably a good nurser. So just keep an eye on your LO's weight gain and output of wet/dirty diapers, everything should be ok. I have also noticed that I have OALD and I think that contributes to my LO finishing quicker, you may want to pay attention to your let down. Hope everything goes well.

Great!! I'll just keep an eye on the diapers...by the way what does OALD mean?

overactive let down=OALD
    my son was always an efficient eater, eating 5-10 minutes on one side usually. I agree, keep an eye on the diaper output!
    I hope things keep going well for you!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

thanks Heather!!!!