Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mechanical questions...let down

Default Mechanical questions...let down

Hi all,

I was wondering how much milk a baby recieves if there is no, or only one, let down? My left breast is twice the size of the right one and has two to three let downs per feeding (20 minutes). The right one sometimes doesn't have any. I'm worried of course my DS(5 1/2 months old) isn't getting enough, that he is constipated lately doesn't help either as far as counting dirty diapers
    Within seconds of a letdown, he sucks vigorously for about 10 seconds- is that long enough? Often from the left breast he chokes and some of it comes back out again when I burp him...
    I notice when pumping too (yes, I know it is nothing to go by)that the right breast yields just a few drops. Any way to improve yield in one breast like offering it more ie, at the begininng of a feeding? Any chance the left brst will become the same size as the right one or vice versa in the near or distant future?
    Last edited by Mimi's mum; August 2nd, 2007 at 08:12 AM. Reason: more info

Default Re: Mechanical questions...let down-2nd request

Hi again,

I am bumping this forward (sorry!) because I didn't get any responses.
    Perhaps I didn't word it correctly?
    Basically all I am asking is does a baby recieve milk between let downs or is it only following a let down?

I really appreciate any insight. I am panicking about my DS not putting on enough weight (he has plateaued at around 6 kgs for over a month) and people are trying to influence me into starting formula.

Thank you!!

Default Re: Mechanical questions...let down

Honestly, I don't know the answer to your question. (wait that sounds rude and I don't mean it to be. I just wanted to let you know why I didn't respond before). I haven't felt a let down in months and the baby gets enough milk, so I don't think that's it. I can see milk in the corner of her mouth so I know she's getting it. I wonder if maybe you have overactive letdown on the one side and the other is pretty normal. Here's some information on being lopsided and what you can do for that.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/lopsided.html

It sounds like you have concerns about his weight gain. That might be a good place to start. How many times a day is he nursing? How many wet diapers do you see? Is he eating any solid foods? That might give more insight into how he's doing.

Hang in there! There is an answer to your question.
    Last edited by zoewmu; August 3rd, 2007 at 05:41 AM. Reason: to clarify.

Thanks so much zoewmu, that was actually enormously helpful!!
    I bookmarked the link too
    I think it was probably an obvious question and that I am suffering from the phenomenom of being too close to the trees to see the forest!

He has about 5 wet diapers a day but has been constipated again so I give him sips of water three times a day, which seemd to work the last time when he went 4 poopless days last week. I had him on solids (fruit in a blender) but stopped a week ago when he got constipated and I also worried that it wasn't helping his weight gain and perhaps diminishing my supply on top of it.

BTW, since you aren't feeling the let-down sensation anymore, is there a point in your LO's feeding when she starts sucking more vigorously that would indicate a let-down?

Thank you again for responding.

its normal for older babies not to poop as much, some go a week or more between poops and that is normal for them.
    Is baby getting anything besides breastmilk?
    sometimes starting the solids cause them to have trouble, stopping like you did and going back to just breastfeeding will help. Start solids again slowly.

http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/constipation_bfdg.html

maybe this link will help you understand how milk is made
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi's mum View Post
    BTW, since you aren't feeling the let-down sensation anymore, is there a point in your LO's feeding when she starts sucking more vigorously that would indicate a let-down?
    She's not much of a comfort nurser. So, she's sucking vigorously, or she's pulled off. Sometimes she slows down on her nursing and then speeds back up, but to be honest, I don't pay much attention any more unless I'm wondering if she's almost done. Otherwise, I let her do her thing. I've kind of trained myself that if she acts satisfied, if I change enough diapers throughout the day, and I'm not in pain, I try not to worry about what she is or isn't doing. So, I may not be the right person to answer.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, andrea ohio.
    No, nothing other than bm and the few sips of water. I went to the medela site you posted and my hair stood on end when they say to seek medical attention immediately with certain symptoms like vomitting...
    I noticed lately he has also been spitting up, not exactly vomitting (its not projectile or anything, just dribbles out curdled milk after feeding). What is meant by "dry mucous membranes"?How can one tell?

Sorry, I'm being a worry wort, feeling a little insecure

dry mucous membranes
    would be like dry mouth and nose. dry looking eyes
    if your baby is wetting 5 diapars a day then I can just about bet hes getting the milk he needs.

Thank you both again, I think I shall sleep well tonight.
    When I get myself into a dither I forget to remind myself that I have a very happy, smiley, active baby which is probably the biggest sign that all is well (plus a pile of dirty diapers).

Sweet dreams.