Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refusing to nurse now??

Default Refusing to nurse now??

My 8 day old LO has been improving somewhat in her nursing over the past few days. But, tonight she awoke for a feeding and absolutely refuses to take my nipple! She's awake and just won't soothe or feed. I syringe fed her approximately 6-8 mL of some expressed breast milk; I don't want her to starve! I don't know what's going on. She calms down in daddy's arms, and then once we put her down she cries again. I'm so frustrated! Oh, and it seems as though I'm producing some good milk. I can squeeze my nipples and it sprays out, so I know she must be able to get some. Could it be something I ate? I also tried burping her to no avail. I get these fears that my milk is not enough and she'll be losing weight. And she refuses the bottle, so supplementing w/ formula is useless. Ugh. BF is soooo much harder than I ever expected. I'm so exhausted. Any tips would be appreciated.

Renee

Trying sooo hard to BF!!!

Default Re: Refusing to nurse now??

I don't really have specific advice, just a . You must be so tired and frustrated. I definately had those times with my DD! Do you think maybe you were engorged, and she couldn't latch on? That did happen to me with this LO in the early days, and I had to pump off a little so he could latch on.

Good luck!

Mommy to Aidan and Kaitlyn (09/12/02) and to Anderson (07/04/07)

Your hospital should have a lactation consultant that can check your latch for you to be sure baby is getting to the milk. I had issues w/an overactive let down (sprays their face, they have to gulp...not good). Could that be the case? Try to express a little 1st & make sure that baby has "fish lips" when latched & that baby's mouth is open to all of your areola.

If your breasts are engorged at all that would make it more difficult for baby to latch on - you may need to hand express some milk out until your nipple/areola area is more pliable for baby's mouth...My son was a fighter pretty frequently as a newborn - esp when he was really tired (middle of the night or late afternoon) and would refuse the breast. My husband and I first would supplement finger-feeding formula or giving him a bottle of formula (or breast milk when I started pumping). I had a visiting nurse come in the first two weeks and she assured me that plenty of babies just feel too lazy to latch when they're really tired. When I had the patience, I would rest baby on a nursing pillow in my lap and give him my finger or pacifier to suck on so he would focus his attention on that - once he was calm I would try giving him the breast again. If that didn't work immediately, I found other ways to get him to chill out - for us it was chanting Ohm or humming very loudly (over his crying) or dancing him around to music ("We Will Rock You by Queen has a hypnotic beat!) Sometimes it would take 1/2 hour of this before we had success. I also found that the faster you can grab baby in the night (before the crying starts and while they're still slightly dozing and just starting to root) the easier it is to bypass the struggle. We're cheering you on!