Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DD weight gain slow...should I be worried?

Default DD weight gain slow...should I be worried?

DD was gaining about 7 ounces per week. The last 3 weeks though she has begun a cycle where 1 week she will gain only 3 ounces, then the next week 6-8 ounces, and then this past week gained only 3 again. SHOULD I BE WORRIED?

I can account for only a couple of even possible reasons this could be. 1. In the last month or so she has come to absolutely love standing. She doesn't want to just be held. She wants to stand. If she didn't get tired she'd stand all the time. She has even started trying to take her first step. So could this added movement and activity be a possible cause? 2. We think she is teething. Yesterday she couldn't sleep for more than a half hour at a time without waking up crying. At night she will only stay asleep if she has my nipple in her mouth almost all the time. I can also feel a hard protruding ridge in the center of her front upper gums. Could teething do it?

DD is 14 weeks, 1 day.

That week she gained more she did seem to have a growth spurt where she was constantly eating, but other than that her eating has been normal. She has a good number of diapers each day, wet and poopy (Friday she had 5 poopy diapers, 4 in the space of a half hour, but usually she has a normal number) so I think she is getting enough to eat. Although she is getting more distracted while eating and pulls on and off a lot, I can hear her gulping when she nurses.

Feedback please?
    Katherine
    DD - Cecilia Bernadette - 1/29/06

DD - Felicity Catherine - 11/19/07
    The Whispering Rose

The Journey of a New Life

Default Re: DD weight gain slow...should I be worried?

Weight gain has to slow down at some point, or they would be the size of small adults by their first birthday.

As long as baby is gaining, peeing and pooping your good! It is hard not to worry, but baby is sounding healthy!

What is the weight?

She is now 12 pounds, 2 1/2 ounces.
    Katherine
    DD - Cecilia Bernadette - 1/29/06

DD - Felicity Catherine - 11/19/07
    The Whispering Rose

The Journey of a New Life

It sounds like she is gaining in fits and spurts. The weight gain is consistant, so that is good!

I just looked in my sons baby book...he is a BIG baby, and was 12 lbs 10 1/2 oz at 2 months...your baby is doing great!

Sarah