Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nipple recommendations for feeding EBM

Default Nipple recommendations for feeding EBM

Hi-
    My daughter is 7 weeks and my husband has been feeding her a bottle of pumped milk late at night since about 3.5 weeks. I have to go back to work in 2 weeks from now so we wanted to get her used to the bottle.
    I am using the Avent bottles with the newborn nipple (one hole, slow flow). She takes the bottle fine but is very slow - it may take 45 min to an hour for 4 oz. She is a good eater on the breast and not too slow.
    Does this sound normal? Can we speed her up on the bottle?
    Avent also has a 2-hole slow flow nipple (marked 1+ months) - would this be ok to use? Can anyone comment on how to choose a nipple / bottle for breastfed babies?
    Thanks

Default Re: Nipple recommendations for feeding EBM

I had bought the Avent bottles, too but he won't have anything to do with them. The ONLY bottle my son will take is Platex Nurser. He loves the nature nurser nipple. Good luck!

That sounds quite similar to what my baby did. However, like the other post, my baby definitely prefers the Playtex Nurser - Natural latch nipple in latex. When David was 4 weeks old, he would take quite a while to finish a bottle. Up until he was about 4 months old he was a slow drinker. I would stick with the slow nipple on any bottle you use. The more holes, the faster the flow and it may create more air and therefore gas for the baby. You could try a different bottle system and see if that is easier for your baby. Although, it sounds like all is well. I was once told that as long as the baby is getting the breastmilk, everything is good. Good luck going back to work!

It is NOT recommended to make the bottle easier if you wish your baby to take your breast. It's also advised that you don't use a bottle early on if you want your baby to continue at your breast too. You can use a spoon or syringe.

Of course, some babies do just fine going back and forth from any bottle and the breast. Just know what you're getting into. If a bottle delivers pronto and the breast takes a lot of work, some babies are going to go for the easy stuff and get VERY upset when they have to work for their meal. Hence, unwanted weaning....

we use the playtex nurser too.

Thanks Dryad- I understand the theory that you dont want to make the bottle easier than the breast. So, which nipple is most like the breast?Unfortunately i have no choice but to go back to work soon and soon she will be getting multiple bottles per day so i want to make that transition smooth for everyone. As long as she's getting breast milk...
    For those of you that use the playtex nurser - does the nipple just have one slow hole like the Avent newborn or do you have multiple nipple options?

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I've recently seen ads for a bottle called Second Nature... apparently, it's set up to be more like a breast... the harder the baby sucks, the more flow he/she gets... I've not tried one or met anyone who has, but here's the website if you want to check them out: http://www.secondnaturefeeding.com

Jacqui

Are you going back and forth between breast and bottle? I am confused. What was that you said about weaning?
    It's important when you are working and pumping to continue nursing whenever you and the baby are together, and co-sleeping can make up for lost time together and help you maintain your supply.
    Good luck! I don't have any advice about bottles, we gave them up at 6 weeks.
    There is a book out by LLL called Hirkani's Daughters, you may want to check it out. It is about working moms who made extraordinary efforts to continue nursing.

I have heard the same things about the Second Nature system as well. To answer your question about the differences in bottle feeding vs. breastfeeding: Think of how when you hold a bottle upside down, the milk continues to leak. They same thing happens when the bottle is being held in the baby's mouth. Even if a baby doesn't suck, he will get some milk dripping into his mouth (not a lot, but it does happen). The breast is very different. It is designed to give the baby more of a choice. Except for when milk first lets down, (for some moms there is a big spray at this time!) milk will not continually leak from the breast unless the baby sucks. It is much more work to drink from a breast. So, if your goal was to mimic the breast, I would suggest you continue to use slow flow nipple, or check out the Second Nature, as these will do what you are looking for.

Just curious, does your dd usually seem to want to take all 4 oz. when dh give her the bottle at night? Maybe it is taking her so long because she really doesn't want that much. Of course if she is happy and actively sucking, then I wouldn't doubt this. I just thought maybe she could shorten her feeds if you offered a little less and see if that satisfied her.

Sounds like she is doing well nursing for you and you waited until she was almost a month old to give her the bottle, in anticipation of your having to go back to work. It is typically recommended that you wait until the baby is at least 3 weeks old, to establish nursing and milk supply. That falls within this range, so sounds like you planned pretty well. Good luck with her and let us know if any of the suggestions might work for you!

Thanks LLLKate - you might be right that she doesnt really want that much sometimes. Other times she will suck down 4 oz or more in 15 minutes. I find it hard to predict how much to put in the bottle - dont want to waste the precious stuff! Does it sound about right at this age (10w now) to start with 3-4 oz in the bottle? She eats 7-8 times in a normal day. I think i am going to stick with the Avent with the slow nipple for now since it seems to be working fairly well.

Back to work on Monday - a little nervous about being able to pump enough - wish me luck!