Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Jay Gordon method-it works!!!

Default Re: Dr. Jay Gordon method-it works!!!

Quote Originally Posted by *MaggieMay* View Post
    I told myself I would give it a week, but I don't think I can. The crying absolutely kills me, and I picture my poor baby in her crib thinking "Why isn't mama nursing me like she always does?"

Sorry I think I just needed to vent.
    I really dont have real answers to your questions ... All I know is babis respond diffrently, one might need 3 nights other might need 1 month, I have heard and read that it started to work after one week, consistency is very important, if you stop at this point, next time you try it again it would be harder coz then your baby would think that mom will give in like she did before...Hope you see some light soon.

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

Quote Originally Posted by *MaggieMay* View Post
    What do you do if your baby doesn't sleep in bed with you?

I have been attempting to night wean, and in fact we haven't nursed between 11 and 7 for the past three nights. It's requiring a ton of crying though, which I was adamant I would never do. I'm just at my witt's end though with our sleep situation, and if she doesn't nurse when she awakens at night, there's no other way to calm her down. And it hasn't really gotten any better with subsequent nights like I thought it would. In fact, she's started nursing to sleep at bedtime, refusing to be put down awake. She hasn't nursed to sleep at bedtime since 6 months old, and she's 14 months!

I told myself I would give it a week, but I don't think I can. The crying absolutely kills me, and I picture my poor baby in her crib thinking "Why isn't mama nursing me like she always does?"

Sorry I think I just needed to vent.
    Sounds like you are going through a rough time. I let my first lo CIO in his crib at 15 months which I had said I would never do. I'm not going to do it again. I weaned my 2nd at night pretty easy when she was 13 months (she's been easy about nearly everything though). She also didn't always nurse to sleep (naps) so one night when she woke to nurse I just rocked her instead. When she had fallen asleep rocking (there was some crying) I laid her in her crib. She woke up a bunch that first night but I just rocked her and said will nurse in the morning.

That said, #3 hasn't been so easy. If I'm available he's always nursed to sleep. We've been doing Gordon's method - or atleast a variation inspired by it. After sleeping through several nights back. Mark has been in our bed the last 2 nights upset. I haven't nursed him at night in almost a week but he still wants to. He tries to grab at them. He cries but it's not the hysterics that it would be if he were in his crib alone.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Just wanted to share that the method seems to be working. He hasn't nursed during the night in nearly two weeks. He's actually slept all the way through twice. The other nights when he wakes up I either bring him into bed or lay next to him in his bed and he falls to sleep very quickly. Last night he woke up when I put him down after nursing him down in the evening. I just laid next to him and in less than 10 minutes he had fallen to sleep.
    Last edited by @llli*AllNightDQ; August 5th, 2007 at 11:02 AM.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

I am very happy for those for whom this method worked, but I also think I should share that I tried it, and variations of it, a few times with my little one and they just didn't work. Finally, after she turned two, I did night wean her. My dh felt strongly that she should be moving toward more independence at night and I was not getting quality sleep. It was a miserable two nights. I could not be there for her. But my dh was available for her. I had to have her in her own bed to do it. But she didn't start sleeping through the night until aftr she turned three. She still comes into my bed on occasion.

I just wanted to share that I think it might have worked for us. It was a long week, but my dd has slept through the night two nights in a row now. She's getting up earlier than usual to nurse, but I'll take it. Thanks for the encouraging words!
    Bee- proud mama to Maggie, 6/12/06 and Maya, 10/15/08

bump

I've been trying it for the last couple nights and so far it is going pretty well. DS has just been snuggling the boobs between 11am and about 5am. I've noticed he's waking up earlier in the morning but he still doesn't seem to be eating much more during the day. He's definitely partial to nursing all night and playing all day but I think this method is going to be good for us in that it will allow me to get a decent stretch of sleep.

bump

Thank you for sharing. I've read Pantley's No Cry method and although I love her ideas, the timeline is quite long. I go back to work soon and would love a full night sleep to help me tackle my work day. Thanks again! I'll check out the link.

thank you for bumping this. I am crying right now, and at my wits end, with the every 2 hour night feedings, and now refusing to go back to sleep after. I really want to night wean him.
    Co-sleeping did not work for us. We still keep trying, but he flops around like a fish out of water, and none of us sleep. He also wakes easily with DH's snoring, and laughs and tries to grab our noses.

I've been reading the Elizabeth Pantley toddler night book. I tried the Pantley pull off method for awhile, but nothing is working yet. He screams and gets so upset so fast

We are all exhausted and at our wits end. I cut up my finger today in the immersion blender, and spent the afternoon in the ER. DH is away in Dubai on a business trip. I am so tired, and I am dreading the nights. DH usually helps out by rocking him half the time. He really wants to sleep train him though, and I just can't take leaving him to cry.

Any suggestions? Can this method be used on crib sleepers? THanks in advance!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK