Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Jay Gordon method-it works!!!

Default Re: Dr. Jay Gordon method-it works!!!

Thanks so much for sharing this. I have been pointing people to this method but I haven't done it.
    Dr. Gordon stresses that this may not be for everyone and he only recommends it for children who are at least 12 mos. So I really think that makes a big difference as far as the crying part.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thanks to the pp for bringing up that Dr. Jay gordon only recommends his method for babies over 1 year old or older.
    My boy does eat a lot of solids nowadays and was down to nursing just once in the morning, once before bed, and of course all during the night. I was worried too that he wasn't going to get enough nutrition (especially because he refuses to drink cow's milk or soy), but he seems to be doing fine.

To be honest, I think this whole weaning process has been harder on me than it has been on him. He's busy climbing, falling and exploring his world, while his mommy is missing the little baby who used to sleep in her arms so peacefully...

thanks for posting this! i am new here btw...

my daughter is 11 months. I know that she is young by what Dr. Jay suggests but I am about a hair away from either weaning completely or sticking her in a crib and letting her CIO. We have had some serious biting issues since she was 5 months old. She only is nursing at bedtimes/nap times and all through the night. And she is still biting the heck outta me at those times. My nipples are bruised and damaged. I have stuck it out this long because I really wanted to do the whole extended breastfeeding thing. But I can't if this continues. I also cant handle having to sleep 14 hours a day along with her anymore. It is really starting to affect my marriage and daily life. I figured this would pass but its been going on 6 months. I have tried giving her ibprofin, hylands tablets... figuring its teething, with no avail.

Anyway... I think we are going to try this. I just don't know what to do anymore. Going to bed is turning into a complete battle for us. I need it fixed pronto... before I loose it.

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp Sorry, that origional link didn't work for me, so here is one that works, if you were having a problem.

Ok, my lo woke up wide awake at 1:30 this morning. Being extremely tired, I decided it might be worth it to try this method. So, I nursed her for a while, at first aiming to get her back to sleep that way, but she didn't want to go back to sleep. So off the boob she went. She ended up staying up for a total of 2 hours. The last 30 minutes was crying on and off, but yeah she went to sleep without the breast in her mouth. She then went on to sleep until after 6 am and I nursed her to sleep once again.

My only question is this, if I nurse her to sleep in bed at night and up until 11 p and back to sleep in the mornings, but not during my 7 hours a night, is that not sending mixed message. It seems to me like sometimes you are going to get it and sometimes you are not. I am going to keep trying for the next week with the method. I'll keep you all posted.

I have the same question in my mind.....yeah keep updating please.

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

Quote Originally Posted by tnmomof2 View Post
    My only question is this, if I nurse her to sleep in bed at night and up until 11 p and back to sleep in the mornings, but not during my 7 hours a night, is that not sending mixed message. It seems to me like sometimes you are going to get it and sometimes you are not.

I had the same concern about the mixed-message. Since they can't tell time how would they know weather waking up would result in nursing or not? I modified his method considerably but it seems to have worked. Last night he slept all the way through in his own bed actually! I began the process a few weeks back. My first step was to go to him when he woke up and nurse him in his room rather than bringing him to bed with me to nurse. I nursed him for a pretty good amount of time. After nursing I would then bring him to bed with us. I think that started giving him the idea that we weren't nursing in bed anymore. Sometimes he would hardly awaken but usually he would a little. If he asked to nurse I would tell him that we had already nursed when he would ask for it (he's nearly 2). He usually fell right to sleep.

Then I began just bringing him to bed and not nursing. Boy was he mad and carried on- but not for 2 hours! The night before last I nearly gave in because it was like 5AM and I thought, well we could call this a morning nursing but I knew he was nursing to get back to sleep and had no intention of starting his day. He did bring out the water works which was hard but eventually fell asleep on the pillow with me. Last night we put him in his own bed already sleeping (just ditched the crib because I plan on future co-sleeping being in his room not ours) around 9:30 and he slept till 6:30. My next step will be to get him to fall asleep either for the night or his nap without nursing. I think I'll nurse him earlier and then lay with him in his new bed. It should work but I think I'm going to give it a few days before I try.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Laura, good for you!
    As for sending a mixed message, I think we need to give our LOs a little more credit once they are over one year. Of course, the older they are the more they will be able to make the distinction IMO. For a while now (since about 15 mos) I have not nursed my DD to sleep at bedtime, but I have nursed her to sleep when she wakes in the night or early morning. She doesn't seem to mind the "mixed message." She rarely tries to nurse to sleep at bedtime, only if she is really overtired. Sometimes I let her but not very often.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by all night DQ

Then I began just bringing him to bed and not nursing. Boy was he mad and carried on- but not for 2 hours! .

Oh, I must have made it sound like she cried for 2 hours. Her brother fell asleep in our bed too- my husband works midnights- so I awoke to her jumping on his head laughing. I think that is why she was so wide awake. For an hour and half, she watched Sesame Street and played, and nursed. It was only the last 30 min that she cried. I didn't think that was too bad. If she had cried for 2 hours non-stop, I would have let her have the boo and tried again in a few months.

What do you do if your baby doesn't sleep in bed with you?

I have been attempting to night wean, and in fact we haven't nursed between 11 and 7 for the past three nights. It's requiring a ton of crying though, which I was adamant I would never do. I'm just at my witt's end though with our sleep situation, and if she doesn't nurse when she awakens at night, there's no other way to calm her down. And it hasn't really gotten any better with subsequent nights like I thought it would. In fact, she's started nursing to sleep at bedtime, refusing to be put down awake. She hasn't nursed to sleep at bedtime since 6 months old, and she's 14 months!

I told myself I would give it a week, but I don't think I can. The crying absolutely kills me, and I picture my poor baby in her crib thinking "Why isn't mama nursing me like she always does?"

Sorry I think I just needed to vent.
    Bee- proud mama to Maggie, 6/12/06 and Maya, 10/15/08