Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Jay Gordon method-it works!!!

Default Dr. Jay Gordon method-it works!!!

At 14 months, my boy was still waking 2-3 times a night to nurse. although we co-sleep and I always went back to sleep after nursing, I was getting a bit tired of the routine. I wanted 8 hours of straight sleep. Eventually I want my bed back, but that's another story....
    It seemed hard to find much specific advice on how to night wean. Someone on this site recommended the Dr. Jay Gordon method (http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp), but no one seemed to have a lot of first hand experience with it. so I'm going to share my experience, and hopefully it will help some other mom.

To summarize, Dr. Gordon tells you to pick 7 hours where you really want to sleep. I picked 10:00pm-5:00am. You can nurse on demand up to that time and afterwards. So on Night 1, my boy nursed to sleep as usual, but then woke up at 12:00 expecting his first midnight snack. The method tells you to go ahead and nurse, but keep it short and put them down awake. My son was not happy about this. In fact, he screamed for 50 minutes straight. It was perhaps the most difficult 50 minutes of my life. He wouldn't let me comfort him or hold him. He just thrashed around the bed to express his anger. He was furious. Surprisingly, he didn't wake my daughter. He finally went to sleep clutching both of my hands to his chest. I felt like the worst mom in the world. I almost gave in and nursed him, but I was determined to see it through. He slept through the rest of the night, nursed again at 6:00am and didn't seem to hold the nighttime experience against me the next day.

Day 2, he awoke twice to nurse, but cried for only 10 minutes, and the cries were only whiny cries. He fell asleep clutching my hand.
    Day 3, he awoke only once and cried for less than 5 minutes.

Day 4-6 you don't night nurse at all, but I really didn't even have to go to the rest of the plan because he has been sleeping through the night. Hooray!! Occasionally he will wake up, but he puts himself back to sleep. It is wonderful. I had forgotten how nice 8 hours of sleep feels. I don't think I had gotten that much sleep in a row for nearly two years!!
    If you don't like to hear your baby cry, I wouldn't recommend this method. Personally, I liked the Gordon plan because it didn't make me feel like an awful person for wanting to sleep through the night. If I had taught my boy how to fall asleep without nursing, I wouldn't have had to go through all of this, but hindsight is 20/20.......

So Dr. Jay Gordon's method worked for us. We're all getting a good night's sleep, and for that I am most thankful.
    Now if I can just get my boy into his crib, so that my husband and I don't end up squished at opposite ends of the bed while my boy hogs the rest!!

Default Re: Dr. Jay Gordon method-it works!!!

I'm gald you found something that worked for you!

Very happy for you.

Thanks for sharing this, I've also been considering it for my 19-month old and I'm happy to hear someone else's experience with it! Congrats, sleep sounds VERY nice.
    Annie
    Mama to Jeremy Daniel (12/10/2005)

I'm a late cloth convert...and you? :tumbsup

Thank you so much for posting. I think we're going to try it tonight. Molly suggested it to me a few days back but my mom was visiting so I didn't want to subject her to the nighttime tantrum that I'm sure will erupt. My one question is was it hard for you to keep your lo away from your breast? Maybe it's more of a concern because my lo is 22 months, but if it were winter I think I'd wear a tucked in turtle neck to sleep in.

It's a little hard to stay motivated because I actually haven't gotten sick of the nursing during the night but dh and I are suppose to try and take a weekend (or atleast a night) away next month and I want him to be much closer to weaned before we go.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Well I am not a big fan of letting dd cry at all but I do need to nightwean soon. I've been putting it off but it is to the point where it is really not even working for her but is the only way she knows how to fall asleep. So either way there is crying. I'll have to check out the link. Thanks for posting.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

Well maybe I'm stalling, but I added a prestep to the Gordon method. Instead of starting with a short nurse, last night I let Mark nurse on both sides (in a chair though so I wouldn't fall asleep) and then laid him in bed awake with us (this was around midnight). When we were going to bed he said "nurse" and I matter of factly said we already did that. He was fine - I have been saying no to nursing more lately so he's become accustom to that. He squirmed around and ended up falling asleep around dh's legs. The trick with this is making sure he doesn't fall asleep nursing (that happened around 3). I'm thinking tonight I'll give him a long nosh on one side if I think I'm going to drift off. I figure if he gets comfortable with falling asleep without nursing it will be easier to cut back on the nursing in a week or so.
    Last edited by @llli*AllNightDQ; July 22nd, 2007 at 08:58 PM.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

I did feel bad when my boy scooted over to my chest. It seemed somewhat of a tease to have the goods in front of him. So I tried to cover my chest with a comforter. Then I scooted down so I was face-to-face with him. That seemed more fair.....

Thanks for sharing. I may be looking for night weaning methods soon, so it is always good to hear other experiences.
    Enjoy your sleep!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Thanks, I am needing to get a full nights sleep as well. I will give this a try. I know the first night will be the hardest. I have been nursing at night because he eats so little during the day. I actually feel comforted knowing he is getting his nutrients at night, however I do feel the night time nursing needs to stop. Does your son eat quite a bit during the day? My son started to eat solids when he turned 11 months so he has not been doing it for very long. He eats so little. He does drink milk during the day but again not very much. I nurse about 4 times during the day. maybe more..