Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My RIGHT breast is drying up....... PLEASE HELP

Unhappy My RIGHT breast is drying up....... PLEASE HELP

My son is only 16 wks old and my right breast is only making 1 ounce. I never had any problems before making alots of milk until know. My left breast makes 6 to 8 ounces.. I went 6 hrs last night not feeding my son and when i went to pump my other breast only 1 ounce came out. This has been going on for about a week know.. I can't dry up, my son will not take a bottle what do i do?? Im pumping more and trying to get him on the side alot more but he favors my left breast.. Im very worried about this.. (I have not been pumping alot lately because i just been letting my body do its thing but i think i may of messed up by doing that.) I didn't think you needed to ever pump, i just thought you body would keep making milk... I breastfeed my son anywhere from 8 to 10 a day.. Please someone help me...

I rarely ever feel a let down in my right breast? Is that normal? This just started...

THanks so much
    Lindsey
    Last edited by lraehtz; July 17th, 2007 at 01:05 PM.

Default Re: My RIGHT breast is drying up....... PLEASE HELP

Why Will No One Answer Me........ I Don't Understand.. I Guess Ill Just Call My Doctor..

I don't want you to feel like no cares! But I don't have any advice. I'd call a lactation consultant, and probably pump the right breast to try to increase supply.

Good Luck
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

I have no idea how much my left breast vs right makes but I'm pretty sure it's less than my right. He always eats longer on the left and sometimes he'll go a few days where he prefers the left to the right. The funny thing is, if I'm going to leak...most of the time it's on the left side. hummm. Remember that your baby is the most efficant "pump" so while you may only get 1 once when you pump your baby is probably getting a little bit more. 6-8oz on one side it really good. It sounds like your body is adjusting to the fact that your baby prefers one side to the other and is making more milk on that side. I've read some stuff that says some mothers only feed thier babies on one side and thier body just adjusts to it. Now you'll probably have to live with lopsided boobs for a while but most of the time it's totally possible. If your baby is still having plenty of wet dipes and not losing weight I wouldn't worry about it.
    Have you tried offering the other side in the middle of the night when he's half asleep? That's what I usually do when Sam goes a whole day only wanting to eat from one side. I just make sure all of his night feedings are on the other. Hope this helps!

I'm sorry I haven't responded sooner. My dd was about that age when she developed a preference. I had always had supply issues with my left breast--first it was oversupply, leading to mastitis, and then eventually reduced supply as a result of dd preferring my right side. By the time she was 8 months old, she would nurse on that side, but not for very long as there wasn't much milk, and nurse on the right. I pumped at work, and I always produced 3-4 times as much milk from my right breast as from my left. My body just accounted for the preference and reduced milk supply. I am a bit concerned that the milk ducts are damaged from the mastitis, but will know soon enough as I am having another baby in 2 months.

I tried to think of it as if I were nursing twins...you have 2 breasts and generally plenty of milk for 2 babies, so in my mind, one breast would be good enough for one baby, right?

If you want to try to increase milk production on your slower producing breast, try hot compresses right before baby nurses, and then use breast compressions towards the end of the nursing session, to be sure to completely empty the breast of milk. Do this while pumping also. I tried and tried, and was never very successful at equaling out my supply, but it did seem to help some. And I will reiterate--baby is a much more efficient milk remover than any pump, so do what you can to nurse baby from that side.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Just remember that pumping is not a good indicator of how much milk your baby is getting or what your breast is producing.

When I pump I routinely get 1-2 oz less from my right breast but my LO eats for the same length of time from both breasts with plenty of swallowing and dripping milk. (Also, only my right breast leaks ?!?).

I have also found that breast compressions help me pump more from my right side.

My milk supply is also very lopsided--was with my son as well. I think there is just something different between the two sides (left makes plenty of milk, right only makes a little bit). I still have plenty of milk to satify my daughter, so I am not too worried. I always start her on the low side, I figure it can't hurt to stimulate the supply a little bit. She will only nurse for 3-5 minutes on that side, then another 5-10 on the left (when I pump during the day at work I get around 1/3 as much from the right, so it seems to be pretty consistent to me). The only downside is my breasts are kind of lopsided. It went away after I stopped nursing my son, so I'm hoping the same will happen again. I tried just about everything to make them "even", but nothing really worked. I decided not to worry about it--and everything is fine.

so how's it going now???

First off try and take a deep breath and stay relax. Stressing out (which is easy to do) will cause problems with milk supply. Secondly, have you tried to start nursing on that side first. Thirdly try skin to skin nursing. Take this time and cuddle with your baby skin to skin and nurse as often as possible. There are also herbal supplements that you can take to help with milk supply. Its not that unusual to not feel let down. With my first child I never felt it, but this time around I have. If you need anymore help let me know.

Thanks ya'll for answering... Its still the same, my left breast is like a D and my right ones is B. LOL It looks a little funny.. I been trying to pump every hour and nothing.. My right breast is only pumping 2 onces in 5 hours.. Im not going to worrie about it.. My left breast has so much milk all the time, hes fine with just one.. Thank ya'll so much

Talk ya'll later

Lindsey