Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Switching sides every other suck - just playing??

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Switching sides every other suck - just playing??

My DS is now 13 months old, and he's started a new thing - Whenever I'm BFing him, he'll take two sucks off one side, two sucks off the other, then switch back and forth, back and forth. Sometimes he'll sit up between switching. Sometimes he'll laugh or smile between sides. This will go on and on until I cut him off at about 45 minutes. (He used to be a 10-minute eater.) All feedings go like this now, unless he's half-asleep. Then he'll be still and serious.

Often times this is cute, and makes me laugh. And, first thing in the morning, when we've got nowhere to be, I'll let this go on. But, my question is...

WHAT IS HE DOING?

Is he bored? Playing a game? Uninterested? Unhappy with the amount that's coming out? Do I let him nurse like that? Or do I say, "I guess you're finished now," and take him off until he gets more "serious"?

Default Re: Switching sides every other suck - just playing??

My dd is 16 months and has been doing the same thing off and on for a while. I always got the impression that she is playing and experimenting. When she's reallyl serious about nursing she doesn't do it. I let her do it at home, but not before bed or nap and never in public. She knows that and doesn't even try anymore. So I think it's just fun and a phase.

Have to laugh -- when my LO first did that it totally cracked me up! (I think it happened one day when I had just gotten out of the shower or something, because normally the "unused" side is not uncovered). Once in a while he'll ask me to "open" the "soo side" (switch side??) then try and do that. So, I think it's just a game. Thankfully he's never tried it in public.
    Katherine
    My boys (both hypnobirths!):
    N 12/24/05 - birth center baby; nursed until Dec. 2007
    G 3/21/08 - we had a wonderful homebirth!!! - still nursing

My son is 12 months old and has been doing that for like two months I think. My guess is he just wants to spend more time with mama and her boobs but he is not that hungry

awww.. you just brought back memories for me. it's affectionate play. what a fun little cutiepie you have. enjoy it, because only you can.

My 9 month old has been doing the same thing and it gets kinda aggravating when I'm trying to put him down at night. I'm taking a trip up north soon and am worried he will do this in the airplane!
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006

My 9 month old does this, too, usually when she's not very hungry.

Abby is 8 months and does this. She will sit back at stare at me, grinning and giggling. Then she'll dive in and "attack" one boob, give a couple sucks, giggle, and go for the other. It's just lovey-play (and super cute).
    Rachel

Mama to my precious girls, Abigail and Naomi

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Quote Originally Posted by awnja View Post
    awww.. you just brought back memories for me. it's affectionate play. what a fun little cutiepie you have. enjoy it, because only you can.
    Thanks so much. I love that.

This morning, with it being a weekend and Daddy's still in bed, he'd dive in for the right boob, sit up, dive in for the left boob, sit up, then dive for Daddy, sit up, and start all over again. Josh loved being included in the "affectionate play".

My lo will be 20 mos this week and she still does the switch around game too. She thinks she's hillarious when she does it. I notice she does it more when I've been at work all day and then if we've had a busy night. I think it's just a game that they like to play. Gotta love them! Nurslings are SO CUTE!

Cathy
    Wife for 11 yrs and counting
    Mom to ds (12/96) bf 11mos
    dd (9/98) bf 6mos
    dd (11/05) bf 27mos and counting!