Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Desperate for help

Default Desperate for help

I have never been successful at nursing and this is my fourth child, fourth attempt. My daughter is 4 months old and has not shown a weight gain in the last 2 weeks... now, she may have gained and lost, but I went 2 weeks without weighing her because everything seemed to be going fine. We *had* been successfully gaining approximately 1/2 ounce per day prior to this.

We still have wet diapers and usually 1 bowel movement per day, sometimes up to 3, like today. Bowel movements are typically dark mustard yellow, very liquid. I have tried pumping and nothing comes out, although I can squeeze milk out by hand, not much. I feed on demand, she is on the breast sometimes an hour or more and we co-sleep, with her latched on as frequently as she likes... like a human paci. My breasts are totally lopsided (deformity, like a b cup and a dd cup, always not just when nursing) and my nipples are quite flat... although she seems to latch on real fine. She gulps and swallows for only about a minute, struggles really... and then she screams for more. And once she has gulped and swallowed for a couple minutes, there is no more milk. I can't pump it, squeeze it, nothing. I have never produced much milk and she has had to eat every hour or so since being born, but now it seems like I'm losing what little supply I have. I tried the SNS tonight and she ate like she was starving to death.

I'm ready to throw in the towel and give my poor little hungry girl a bottle. I'm just in tears over failing a fourth time... I try so hard and I'm still doing something wrong. Does anyone have any advice?

Carmen

Default Re: Desperate for help

Oh honey I am sorry you feel this way! Don't give up!

I said in another thread - they are not giving away badges for suffering through this thing we call nursing - nor for exclusively feeding at the breast. You and your little one need to do what is best for BOTH of you.

Have you tried pumping to see how much is there and see if maybe she will do either a finger feeding system or a bottle? I mean, when it comes down to brass tacks, breast milk is still breast milk - regardless of route.

Second, do you have contact with a LLL leader in your area? I would have her watch you nurse and see if maybe there is any way to do it diferently to maximize your nursing. Nipple shields help flat nipples train to be out also.

Your sanity and emotional well being are as important as anything else. Do what you need to do and everybody wins

Carmen,

Don't give up! It is amazing the support and answers you can get on this site. There is a section on milk supply issues. You should really check it out to see if you can find some advice.

Also, there is a section here on finding LLL leaders to see if there is one in your area that can help you. I called my local health unit to find out if there was one in my area or a breastfeeding/lactation consultant close by.

You are doing a great job, a wonderful job with your little one. Please don't give up until you can get some help.

Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffs_hope
    I said in another thread - they are not giving away badges for suffering through this thing we call nursing - nor for exclusively feeding at the breast. You and your little one need to do what is best for BOTH of you.

I agree... do what's best for you and your baby. when breastfeeding fails nutritionally (this happened with both of my babys and just barely making it with my third) it is still successful as a bonding tool. don't forget that. my little one is more familiar with her pacifier then she is with me and I regret it.

here are a few things that I've done differently this third time. one, I don't even think about dieting beyond making sure I get good food. two, I literally count how many ounces of water I get in a day. if I don't then I feel like I'm drinking alot, but really I'm not getting enough. three, I pump for 10 min at a time on each side. I only pumped until I was empty or until I had a certain amount before and it didn't help my suply. I hope this helps...
    Sarah

I would strongly recommend going to see a lactation consultant. There is a list by state on breastfeeding.com where you can try to find one in your area if you do not know of any. (I think there are also some other resources for finding LC's--maybe someone else know's them and can post.) The LC can watch you nurse and can weigh baby before and after feed to see how much she is getting. She can then help you to improve your supply if needed.

Hang in there--you are doing a great job! It must be so frustrating for you. I agree with above posters, don't give up. Remember that some breastmilk is better than no breastmilk even if you do need to supplement.

Smile Re: Desperate for help

I agree with Sarah! Make sure you are counting the ozs you drink! I drink 100or more ozs per day. Maybe that will help. Oatmeal in the mornings helps me. Also, I pump for at least 20 min. per session. Sometimes you have to wait for those let downs! Don't give up! I really think it can work if you get some help. Also, I used a nipple shield to nurse for the first 4 months! My nipples were flat also. Target sells the shields...I'd get one and give it a try, if you're having trouble with the latch! Good luck!!! Hang in there...it will be worth it!

Thank you all so much for taking time to respond. I found a meeting about an hour from here, this Thursday morning. Also, I have a call into a lactation consultant at the hospital we birthed in... I had no idea they could weigh baby before and after, what a great tool!! I will continue to try pumping, although I have never been able to get anything. Never hurts to try. I drink well over a gallon of water a day and 5 cups of Mother's Milk tea... enough or maybe I should up that a bit? Nipples shields... I will look at Target. Again, thank you all so much... what a friendly and helpful community you all have here. FYI... little one is up a little over an ounce today... and haven't supplemented since the ounce and a half I gave her last night!!!!!!

Carmen