Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Constant nursing (and I mean constant!)

Default Re: Constant nursing (and I mean constant!)

Could stimulation -- such as the radio, TV or my talking -- be preventing her from calming down during feeding? What do you think?

I think so. I found that when I did not have the TV on as background noise my DS was calmer, and found I found it easier to calm him down. I got into the habit, and now my TV is rarely on.

I wrote you a post, but it must have gotten lost in cyberspace.

Please do not leave your little baby alone to cry. Sometimes you cannot stop her crying but if you hold her or lie down with her, she knows you are there, which is really the most imp. thing. Just comfort her the best way you know how and before you know it the 2 of you will have figured out the best way to communicate.

COuld it be gas? Is she pulling her legs up?

I agree with Raline, your LO is simply too young to be left to cry. She needs you even when it seems like nothing you are doing is working. I found that my LO likes a semi-darkened area with low noise level to nurse. So we sit in a rocking chair in the corner of the room and if the TV is on, the volume is low. Although getting my 4 year old to cooperate with the lowered noise level is sometimes another matter, .

Hi...I know it is hell and you are not alone. I got so fed up with people saying it was normal and when you are in it you feel like it will never end, It happened the first 3weeks for us. It DOES get better but then there are other ( and not easier) problems to replace it (sorry to say). Now we are in week 4 and there is different things to address but at least I can have a shower and get a glass of water now!

Hang in there. We will all survive and altrhough it is horrible and every minute seems like forever just think a few months out of your whole life is a drop in the ocean. At least thats what I keep telling myself.

Could she be intolerant to something in your diet? My lo nursed A LOT - too much I think in the early days and sounded very similar to your baby...she nursed 30 or more times a day. Part of it was latch. Part of it was falling alseep too soon. But a big part of it was a dairy intolerance, so she would get a tummy ache, cry and nurse for comfort which only made it worse because I continued to eat yogurt, ice cream and milk etc. I had to cut out all dairy except for cheese, work on the latch, switch sidesafter 30 minutes on one side and then she started eating 11-12 times a day which was more manageable! HTH Like everyone says, it does get better btw. You will be a mobile person once again! I now nurse her (at nearly 8 mos) 5-6 times daily for less than 10 minutes a pop

I don't think it's gas or a problem with my diet, because she is pretty content the rest of the day. It's only in the afternoon that she gets fussy. Also, she doesn't writhe or show any discomfort. She just roots for the breast and gets mad when she doesn't get it.

I am also thinking the quiet environment will help. It might be good to have the TV or radio on earlier in the day, when she is laid back and prone to falling asleep on the breast. But when she's fussy I am going for the quiet, dark room.

Thank you to everyone for your advice and encouragement.

My baby has been having this problem too. She's 2 weeks and has one part of the day where she is up for a while, wanting to snack for a few minutes here and there. I put her on the breast when she starts to root and fuss, then she unlatches in about 2 minutes and just looks sort of "catatonic" - not sleepy but not totally alert. Sometimes she does pass out though, only to wake up 10 minutes later.
    I called my midwife finally, completely hysterical from lack of sleep and constant worrying about baby's health/food intake and knowing that she might be able to help. She suggested getting baby on a better schedule, not letting her sleep for more than 3 hours (one night she slept 5!!) and distracting (but not ignoring) her when she fusses to eat. Part of the problem is that I was putting her to the breast immediately after she showed signs of being hungry (rooting, sticking her tongue out and eventually hand sucking) rather than waiting for her to build up a good appetite so she could get in a good feeding. This "snacking" that newborn babies want to do throughout the day will leave you feeling like nothing but a feeding station. My friend had this same issue with her first daughter too and she literally had to hide from her baby at times or the little one would want to feed constantly.
    I know because I'm there, but slowly working my way out! This method of having a system or schedule is NOT deprivation, it's just slightly prolonging the her immediate gratification so that she sees you as more than food and knows that there are specific times to get a good feeding in. Once I started following this plan (although it's hard because you wake up to her wanting to eat right away), try changing her diaper first, holding her for a few minutes, rocking her, singing to her, etc. Make sure baby is fully awake before putting her to the breast, and try keeping her awake if she falls asleep while eating. You can put a cold washcloth on her face, massage her feet, run your fingernails lightly on her back or gentle jiggle her so that the nipple stimulates her mouth again and she resumes sucking.

Good luck to you! I know I need some too.

We met with a lactation consultant and that helped a lot. Now our system is:

1)cool her down and stimulate her so she doesn't nap during nursings
    2)if she wants to nurse less than 90 minutes after her last feeding, we use Dr. Karp's 5-S technique (swaddle, side-position, swinging/jiggling, shushing and sucking) to soothe her
    3)if she doesn't calm down but still wants to nurse, just feed her again -- she really does need it

So far it has worked like a charm, and best of all, my husband can do the soothing to give me a break during these periods.

Good luck

Also, now at 2 weeks, we are told we can introduce a bottle for one feeding per day. I was so excited to get set up with a breast pump -- just knowing that someone else can take over a feeding now and then is a relief. Is that an option for you?

Hang in there -- I understand the babies are going through a growth spurt at 2 weeks, and that's part of what's causing the issue.

I may not be able to introduce the bottle for a while - it seems as though I have an overabundant supply that I am working to reduce slowly. I see now that might have been part of the problem (omg I love this website). Still I try to keep her on a schedule and try not to get too frustrated.
    A combination of a possible growth spurt and too much milk =